eleven. i'm a fire

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language

(malakai is partially non-verbal, so when dialogue is in italics it means that she or another character is using sign language.)

"i could never give you peace, but i'm a fire and i'll keep your brittle heart warm"
peace by taylor swift

Malakai trudged through the sand, her feet dragging with lethargy. She had never felt so heavy yet so incredibly light. She wanted nothing more than to lay down and sink into the deep sediment. Disappear. Boarding the skiff, she braced herself against the wooden doorframe. Everyone turned to face her, a mix of concern, relief, fear and joy on their faces.

"Malakai." Inej and Jesper sighed her name out simultaneously. Both rushing forward to wrap the small girl in a hug. They didn't want to let go, in case she might slip through their fingers like sand.

Pulling out of the hug, Jesper took a strand of her hair between his fingers. "Your hair! What happened? It's all- Like- Some of it is black."

Malakai simply shrugged. She didn't know what to say. She didn't want to have to tell them what she had heard. And she was so incredibly tired. Inej took her face in her hands. "Thank the Saints you're okay... You saved me Sankta Malakai. Again."

"That's what sisters are for." She smiled weakly, laughing. "You don't need to keep calling me that."

"I lay my faith in you, Sankta Malakai." Inej grinned.

"Malakai." The girl turned to see Alina approaching her as the skiff started moving. The Sun Summoner's face crumpled into one of gratitude and relief as she pulled the Shadow Summoner into a hug. "Thank you."

From behind them, Mal spoke up. "Is he gone? Kirigan? Did you kill him?"

Pulling away from Alina, Malakai nodded.
"I watched the Volcra take him away."

The group dispersed as Alina raised her hand, a burst of light surrounding them and pushing the skiff out into the sun. Once everyone had moved away, Malakai saw Kaz standing there. She sighed feeling the warm sunlight on her cold skin. For the first time in a while, she felt a sense of hope. Rushing forward, she briefly wrapped her arms around him before hastily pulling away again. He was taken aback, the feeling of anxiety rushing into his chest again. But the smell of lavender brought him back to down to Earth. Home.