Chapter 7: The Winter Solstice

Jason's POV:

The demigods were standing on a narrow stone walkway in the middle of the air. White marble steps wound up to a cloud in the sky, where Mount Olympus stood. Palaces spotted the mountainside and gardens surrounded the roads leading up to Olympus. Jason took it all in, in awe. He looked back toward the dryad who was greeting them.

"Thank you for your welcome. We have a group behind us and then we can join the gods in the celebration." Jason informed.

The dryad nodded and stepped closer to him. "Excellent, the gods are anxious for your arrival," the dryad pulled him to the side. "Although this is a celebration for your triumphs, the gods still believe it was their doing for the victory. A positive is that they take responsibility for the problems created, rather than accusing you. The downside is that they assign blame for the whole war to Apollo, even though it wasn't completely his fault, so he will be absent from the Solstice. The gods are as temperamental as ever so tread carefully around them."

"Understood. I'm sorry to hear that Apollo will not be joining us this evening. But we can still handle the rest of the gods. We have discussed proper etiquette." As he spoke, the elevator doors opened again, revealing the other group of demigods.

"Perfect! Now we can be on our way." Louder to the rest of the group, she said. "Heroes, follow me to the Solstice!"

She began the trek to Olympus. The whole group looked toward Jason and as he began walking, they surged forward. Piper caught up to him

"What were you discussing with the dryad when we came up?" She asked.

"About how we need to behave ourselves around the gods. No immature behavior. And how Apollo isn't going to be at the Solstice." Jason said.

"You might wanna let Will know. So, he's not shocked when he doesn't see his father. Also, what's going on with Will and Nico?" She questioned.

"You mean you don't know?"

"Know what? Being a daughter of Aphrodite and being observant shows me that something is going on between them. What happened?"

Jason looked around, but everyone else was trapped in their own conversations. "Nico almost broke up with Will."

Piper looked murderous. "What did Will do? If he hurt Nico..."

"I don't know all the details, but Will didn't do anything specific," Jason informed.

Piper looked back at the estranged couple as if trying to decipher what was wrong. "Well, I hope that they are able to work it all out. They belong together."

"Are you talking about Nico and Will?" Reyna's voice cut in. Jason looked back at his friend. "What happened? Because if Will hurt Nico, I will make sure that his life is miserable."

Jason sighed. "They are fighting, but I don't know the specifics. We only know what Kayla told us and she doesn't know that much either. But, Will still wants to be with Nico. So, we think it's something self-deprecating on Nico's part."

Reyna considered this. "Most likely. Will has been very good for Nico, so I would be sad to learn if they did break up."

They arrived at the steps that led to an open courtyard outside the throne room. Percy stopped the group and began speaking. "Demigods, let's make a good impression and have some fun, okay?"

Affirmations rippled through the group. He smiled and lead the group up to the throne room. Hera was standing at the entrance. The group kneeled. Percy was the first one to rise.

"Lady Hera."

She smiled. "Greetings my heroes and company! Welcome to the Winter Solstice!"

She spread her arms and, like in a scene in a movie, the throne room lit up. There were icicles hanging down from the ceiling with intricate designs etched into them. Confetti and light snow were drifting slowly down from above. Sparkling lights appeared in the trees and wound around the columns. Huge tables of food and refreshments appeared out of nowhere in the courtyard and throne room. The Nine Muses began playing music.