Chapter 13: Hotel on West 57th

Will's POV:

Will was staring at his boyfriend, who was refusing to look at him. About an hour prior, Nico had screamed himself awake from a nightmare but refused to talk to Will. Will had checked over Nico, noting that his injuries from Capture the Flag had already faded. He took Nico's pulse and tried, once again, to get his boyfriend to talk to him.

"Your vitals are stable. You can go if you want." At his words, Nico disconnected the IV and sprang out of the bed. "Nico, please talk to me." The son of Hades walked past Will without saying anything. "Nico, please." His voice cracked.

Nico turned around to face him. "What do you want me to say? You are just going to yell at me for summoning skeletons last night."

"I'm not going to yell at you. I'm just worried."

"Well, you don't have to be. I'm okay."

Will scoffed. "Yeah okay, is that why you woke up screaming? Is that why you are currently in the infirmary for passing out? Again?"

"You are acting like I'm weak and pathetic."

"That's not what I'm saying Nico. I'm worried that you are going to hurt yourself, not because you are weak, but because you are so powerful. Every time you get hurt or pass out from using your powers, I worry. Am I not allowed to worry about you? Or be scared that you are going to get hurt? And that I won't be able to fix you?"

"Anything I do, you can fix. So, stop worrying about-"

"But what if something happens that I can't fix?" Will said forcefully, silencing Nico. "What if you come to me bleeding, expecting me to fix you and you die in my arms? What if that happens? Because it's happened to me before. And it's why I have the same scars you do Everyone puts so much faith in me, but what if I fail? What if I can't save you? And you die? I will deal with that guilt for the rest of my life." Nico didn't say anything so Will continued. "That's why I worry. Not because I doubt you or your abilities, but because I doubt myself and my own abilities to fix you if you get hurt."

Nico was silent for another minute before breaking it. "I made a mistake. I thought I could handle it, but I guess I couldn't." He sighed. "I'm sorry for making you worry. I... I didn't realize that that is what you were worrying about. I thought that you thought I was weak and needed to be protected."

Will walked up to and grabbed Nico's hand. "I would never think you are weak. You are the most powerful demigod I know."

"I'm sorry for worrying you."

"It's okay. Just try to be more careful, okay?"

"I will. Thank you for helping me."

Will kissed Nico's forehead. "There's nothing else I'd rather be doing."

Nico smiled and started walking out of the room. He looked behind and found that Will wasn't following. "Aren't you coming with me?"

Will smirked. "Believe it or not, you were not the only injury last night. Half of the camp is in the infirmary. The Hunters play tough."

Nico looked hesitant. "I could... stay and help if you wanted."

"Nah, go on. I'll be fine." Will smiled. "I promise."

With that, Nico walked out of the room. Will sighed and started taking the sheets off the bed. They needed to be washed for whoever the next patient was. He threw them in the laundry basket. As he was going to the cabinet to get move sheets, Kayla walked into the room.

"Another day, another fight," she said as she moved over to the other side of the bed. "I'm shocked the entire infirmary didn't hear you boys going at each other."