Chapter 28: Questions

Will's POV:

"Nico!" Will screamed. The door wouldn't open. Nico must have locked it behind. Whether on purpose or accident, he didn't know.

"I can get the key!" Kayla interjected.

"There's no time if he collapsed," Will shouted. "I'm going to need some ambrosia after this." He breathed in deeply, focusing. He rammed his shoulder against the door. Once, twice. It hurt like a mother. Three times. The lock was starting to give way. "C'mon Nico." On the fourth push, the door sprung open.

Will tumbled in, catching himself before he hit the floor. Kayla stuck her head in after, both siblings quickly searching the bathroom. Nico was huddled against the shower wall, still fully clothed. Tears were streaming down his face, mixing with the shower water. Will straightened, looking over his boyfriend with sympathy. He walked over to the shower, pulling off his shoes and socks. He stepped into the shower wall to join Nico. He vaguely heard Kayla step out of the bathroom to give them privacy. Nico looked up as Will sat under the warm water with him.

"Will-" he trailed off.

"I'm right here," Will reassured Nico.

He didn't touch Nico, waiting for the younger boy to initiate contact. Nico's bottom lip trembled, and he threw his arms around Will. The thin arms gripped Will tightly and Will returned the hug with as much intensity.

"I'm sorry-" Nico sobbed. "I mess everything up- I can't- I can't- I can't even shower correctly-"

"Hey, you don't need to apologize for anything. You are okay. You have done nothing wrong." Will rubbed circles into Nico's back to try and calm him down.

"But- but- but I flinched- when you tried to touch- touch me. What's wrong with me?!" Nico released Will, wrapping his arms around himself. He was choking on tears and shower water. "You-you aren't going to- hurt- hurt me, why- why am I scared? I'm-I'm so-STUPID!" He gripped his hands tightly in fists.

"No, you aren't." Will reasoned. He took both of Nico's hands in his, causing him to release the pressure. Will didn't want Nico to break the skin. "You have been in a terrible circumstance and it is perfectly normal to feel scared and freaked out. I'd be nervous if you weren't scared."

"But- bu- I heard you and Kayla talking- there's something wrong with me-"

Will felt a stab of guilt. He should have known that Nico would have been listening. "There is nothing wrong with you. We are just worried about you. We just want you to feel safe."

"I'm not safe," Nico whispered, looking blankly into the distance. "He can get me anywhere."

Will put his hand under Nico's chin, lightly pushing it up. The movement caused Nico to meet Will's eyes. Their eyes stayed locked. Will could see the haunted look in Nico's eyes. "He cannot and will not get you. He will never hurt you again. He is under close watch by Jason and Percy. Kayla and I will be here to watch over you. He isn't getting in here, I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep," Nico begged.

"We are going to keep you safe, okay?" Will said. Nico didn't answer. "Okay?"

"Whatever you say," Nico said dismissively.

They were silent except for the shower running. Nico must have gotten too deep in thought again because he burst into tears. Will wrapped his arms around Nico and Nico let him. He melted into Will's arms and the two boys let the water rain down on them.

Kayla's POV:

She waited for three hours before trying to go back into Nico's room. She didn't want to worsen the problem or interrupt the two boys, but Nico was her patient; she had a duty to perform. She took in a deep breath before slowly opening the door. She was surprised to find Nico sitting up in bed and Will in scrubs. He must have changed out of his wet clothing. She could still see evidence of his trip into the shower with the damp hair on his head curling in as it dried. He looked up as she entered. He smiled.