Chapter 10: Nightmares

Nico's POV:

The huge group that had attended the Solstice arrived back at camp at around one in the morning. Most of the campers returned back to their respective cabins to turn in for the night. One son of Apollo, however, followed a son of Hades back to his cabin. They laced hands at the door.

"I'm glad everything worked out. I'm really glad I didn't lose you, Nico." Will said softly.

"I'm glad I didn't lose you either."

"Do you..." he asked with his eyes. Do you want me to stay to keep the nightmares away? That's what he used to ask Nico every night.

"I'm okay for the night." Nico could see the disappointment in Will's body language. "I need to learn to keep the nightmares away by myself, Will. I can't rely on you for everything."

"I just want to be there for you." Will earnestly said.

"I need to do this alone. I need time to think about everything that is happening."

"Okay," Will agreed, without a fight. "Just don't stay up all night."

"Yes, yes."

"You'll get me if you have nightmares..."

Nico held up a hand to stop Will. "I know the drill, Solace. You need to sleep as well. And, you don't want to miss curfew. Shockingly, I don't want 'Eaten by Patrol Harpy' written on your tombstone. You need something much more macho."

Will laughed. "Goodnight, Nico." He leaned down, stealing a kiss before jogging back down the hill.

"Goodnight, Will."

Nico looked around, watching the cabin lights going off, one by one. He creaked the door open, moonlight spilling into the cabin, revealing Hazel, already wrapped in sleep. Nico collapsed onto his own bed. His body was exhausted, but his mind felt as if it was going a thousand miles per minute. He thought about his father's offer. He didn't think he was going to take it. After all, he thought that he finally found where he belonged. But his father had told him, when he whispered into his ear, that the offer was flexible. He didn't know exactly what that meant, but one thing was for certain: his father was determined for him to work for him. He honestly didn't know what his father had in mind for him.

He shrugged it off, realizing that late-night decision making never went well. He curled up in his bed and quickly fell asleep.

Nico's POV:

Nico shot up in bed as if he had been electrocuted. He had been dreaming of the ghost Minos. He breathed in and out slowly, trying to get his heart rate under control. He swung his feet out from under the covers. He knew he wasn't going to fall back asleep again. Once he woke up from a nightmare, there was no falling back asleep. He checked the time on his phone. 5:30 am. He had gotten a solid four hours of sleep. Which was pretty impressive for him.

He decided to go for a walk. He put his feet on the floor, which was cold in the winter morning. He pulled on a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt. He pulled on socks, shoes, and a hoodie that he had stolen from Will at one point or another. He also brought his sword; in case he ran into anyone that tried to give him trouble.

He creaked the door open. He winced and turned to make sure he hadn't woken Hazel. She was still fast asleep. He shut the door and set off into the morning air. It nipped at his face, waking him up. He walked towards the center of camp and to the hearth. He warmed his hands using the flames for a few minutes.

He moved on, walking to the Apollo cabin. He paused outside the door, hands raised, about to knock. He stopped himself. There was no need to disturb Will. Not for something this insignificant. He turned away, continuing his walk past the cabins, all their inhabitants snoozing away inside.