Chapter 12: Capture-the-Flag

Will's POV:

Dinner had concluded; it was game time. Stacks of armor and weapons had been laid out across the tables. Chiron was standing at the front, going over ground rules. Will scanned the pavilion for Nico. After lunch, Nico had disappeared into his cabin, while Will was preparing supplies for Capture the Flag. Nico had only reemerged about five minutes before dinner. He was hiding something, but Will didn't know what. He hadn't had the opportunity to talk to his boyfriend yet. He finally spotted Nico, hunched over a map with Percy and Annabeth. Will quietly made his way over to them.

"What are y'all doing?" Percy snatched up the map at Will's words.

"Nothing!" Nico said defensively.

Will raised his eyebrows. "I might not be on your team, but I'm not a spy either." Will was going to be a battlefield medic.

"Just trying to keep it on the down-low." Will picked up on his boyfriend's lie.

"What are you hiding?"

Nico's face turned red. "I'm not..."

Will pulled Nico away. They went behind the amphitheater. "What's going on? First, Percy told me about the fight you had with Thalia. Then, Jason said you almost had a panic attack. You disappeared for hours. Now, you are hiding something from me. So, I will ask again, what's going on?"

"I'm fine." Nico brushed him off.

"Nico," Will started.

"Will, I am okay."

"Are you sure you are okay to compete tonight?"

"For god's sake, Will, yes, I am. Stop trying to protect me so much; I'm fine." Nico tried to walk away angrily.

Will grabbed his wrist and pulled him back in. "I'm sorry. I'm just worried."

Nico's composure melted. "If something was wrong, I would tell you."

Will put his hand on Nico's face. "I love you, you know that, right?"

Nico nodded, kissing the inside of Will's palm. Will melted at the sight. He grabbed Nico's jacket, pushing him against the amphitheater wall. He kissed him. A huge chunk of tension evaporated from Nico's body and Will sensed that he would have collapsed if Will hadn't been holding him up. He smirked and focused back on Nico. His lips parted and allowed Will entrance. They danced around for a while before the kiss broke off.

Nico's voice was low. "I love you too."

"Yeah," Will said breathlessly, pleasantly surprised by Nico's reaction. Nico planted a quick kiss on his lips.

"It's game time." He said as he walked away, back towards the pavilion.

Will composed himself for a second. The way Nico made him feel. He took a deep breath and walked back towards the crowd as well. He needed to focus. He had a job to do.

Nico's POV:

He walked back to the pavilion with a smirk on his face. He rejoined Percy and Annabeth.

"Did he figure it out?" Percy questioned.

"No, I managed to make him forget about it," Nico informed, grinning.

"Oh, is that why you have that arrogant smirk on your face?"

Nico didn't respond. He watched as Will, breathless, re-entered the pavilion to stand by the rest of his cabin.

"Are you sure you are prepared for this?" Percy asked.

"Hey, I'll be fine. If I have any problems, Will can rescue me yet again. But I won't. Our plan will work." Nico explained.

"Only if you're sure." Percy was looking off into the distance. He jerked his head in the direction of someone. "Why is that guy giving you a death glare?"