Chapter 8: Aftermath

Jason's POV:

Zeus began the festival. The music started again, and the demigods slowly dispersed back into the courtyard. The god shrunk to human size to better converse with their children. Jason watched Ares go straight to Clarisse and slap her on the back. She grinned as she launched into a conversation with him. Hermes joined Connor and Travis, who were both eating. Artemis was conversing quietly with Thalia. Even though some of the demigods did not get recognized, Jason could see that their parents wanted to make an effort in keeping in contact with them. Zeus would not be making any effort to keep in contact with him after the stunt his friends had just pulled.

He looked around for Nico, knowing he had been shaken up by what Zeus had said, but the son of Hades was nowhere in sight. Hades appeared to be looking for his son as well, stopping to talk to Hazel on his search for Nico. Jason's eyes landed on Percy, Annabeth, Leo, and Calypso, all speaking to each other. He strode over, ready to lecture them for antagonizing Zeus. He stopped as he listened to what Calypso was saying.

"You really did try to save me? You asked the gods to pardon me as your reward for saving Olympus?"

"Well, of course, what kind of person do you think I am?" Percy asked.

"I don't know, I just didn't think you would do that for me. Nobody ever had. Everyone had someone else they loved."

"It doesn't matter if I loved you or not, I still cared about you and considered you a close friend. You saved me after all. I had to return the favor."

"But you didn't return the favor to us, now did you?" Annabeth said, snarkily. "When you cursed my name, cursed me to your fate."

"What are you- oh my gods how do you know about that?" Calypso put her hand over her mouth in shock.

"Because when we were in Tartarus, we were attacked by Arai. Do you know what those are?" Annabeth asked.

Calypso looked at her feet. "Yes."

"I killed one, and I was cursed, I was subjected to your pain, your despair. I was to perish alone and abandoned. I understand that you lived with that your whole life. But you didn't even know me, how could you curse me like that?"

Tears were threatening her eyes. Percy rubbed at her back.

"I am so, so beyond sorry, Annabeth, you have no idea-" a tear slid down the former goddess's face.

"You're right, I don't know. What I do know is that your curse almost killed me and Percy."

"Can you blame me? After everything, I went through?" Calypso questioned

"Can I blame you? You've been through a lot, but so have we all! Yes, you were stuck on your island prison. Percy and I went through Tartarus and lived to tell the tale. Because of you, I was almost trapped down there; Percy almost lost his life. I'm sorry that you have had terrible trials, but this is the real world. Every single person goes through tough times and is expected to get up and act like nothing is wrong. I have been through so much; I am allowed to be upset and angry with you for cursing me." She finished, face red with anger. Calypso looked ashamed.

"I am so sorry. I had no idea that that was going to happen to you, if I had known, I would have changed what I had done. I went through so much pain, but that gave me no right to curse you when I didn't even know you. Please forgive me, please." Annabeth didn't say anything. Calypso turned her eyes to Percy. "Percy?"

"I know that you didn't know who she was or how terrible the consequences would be. I also understand the trials you went through. But I also understand what Annabeth went through. She didn't deserve that. That wasn't fair."