Chapter 29: Compassion

Percy's POV:

Annabeth and Percy had traveled to the arena. They entered inside, interrupting a lesson Chiron was leading with the Hermes cabin. The campers all went quiet when the two heroes entered. People still got quiet around them sometimes. The fact that they had survived through Tartarus probably had something to do with that. Percy nodded his head to Chiron, indicating that they needed to talk. Chiron excused himself from the lesson and followed the two demigods out of the arena, to get some privacy.

"Any news?" He asked. Annabeth shook her head.

"I don't... I don't think I can do it Chiron. I can't break them. I've been interrogating them for days, but I can't get any of them to admit to anything."

Chiron's face looked disappointed. "I'm sure you did your best. I, once again, asked too much of you. We are going to move onto to the trial stage. Nico's confession should be enough."

"Enough for who?" Percy asked.

"I have reached out to Mr. D and he agreed to return to camp for the trial. We will be the judges of the trial, but Dionysus will have the final verdict on punishments and such." Chiron explained. "He is the most objective. And he has the least exposure to the campers."

"When will the trial take place?"

"It needs to happen as soon as possible. Whenever Nico is available to testify." Chiron informed.

"He's awake and talking. And is in good enough condition to have visitors." Percy added.

"I will consult with Kayla and Will to find out when they think Nico's condition would allow for the trial."

"Why is the trial even necessary? They assaulted Nico; his injuries are proof enough of that." Percy interjected.

"It's a formality. We need a confession and we need an impartial judge to determine the punishment." Chiron's tail swished back and forth as he spoke.

"It just seems so unnecessary to make Nico relive his ordeal." Percy advocated for his friend.

Chiron sighed. "I know, but we have to do it. It's just part of the process." He straightened. "Now, I have to get back to my lesson. I will discuss the matter with Kayla and Will." He turned from the two demigods.

"What about Nico?" Percy was curious. "Does he have a say?"

"He's not going to want to participate in the trial, Perce," Annabeth said.

"Then why should we force him to?"

"Because we need to make these monsters pay for their actions," Annabeth replied.

"I guess," Percy muttered. "It just seems unfair to Nico. He's under so much stress."

"I know, Percy." Annabeth shook her head. "As terrible as a situation that it was, it needs to be resolved, and we can't do that without Nico's help."

"Let's go down to the infirmary, then, to see if we can give him a heads-up." Percy directed, but Annabeth grabbed his arm, slowing him to a stop.

"Wait, Chiron said that he wanted to talk to Will and Kayla.

Percy put his hand on Annabeth's shoulder. "And I think that Chiron is wrong not to tell Nico that the trial is coming. He's not asking about what's right for Nico. And as much as I know you care about him, you had to be objective regarding his case as well. That's why I'm stepping in."

Annabeth's features softened. Percy could tell that his words had convinced her. She released his arm. "I guess you are right. I will come with you, try to apologize to Nico."