Chapter 14: Downtown

Nico's POV:

Nico was alone with Thalia. Percy and Annabeth were heading for Sally Jackson's apartment building. Rachel had to rejoin her family and Grover had gone off to Central Park for some sort of mission. Thalia was asking Nico how they were going to get back to camp.

"I can probably shadow-travel just the two of us, but first I have to do some shopping."

"Shopping?" Thalia asked, a smirk on her face.

"Christmas presents," Nico clarified.

"Christmas is in two days," Thalia reminded.

"Yeah, which is why I need to go shopping," Nico said back. "You can either join me or find your own way back to camp."

Thalia held her hands. "Fine, but you better be quick about it."

Nico nodded. He already had Reyna's and Hazel's gifts in his cabin, but he still needed to buy a gift for Will. He thought about his boyfriend's interests. He enjoyed being a healer, but Nico couldn't think of any gifts to get him dealing with medical stuff. He hated archery with a passion. That left music. Nico knew that Will loved Broadway shows and wanted to see one so badly. Nico didn't think he would be able to afford tickets, but he had an idea of how to get them. He also wanted to get Will something else.

Nico led Thalia into the city, trying to remember the location of a little Broadway shop. He remembered that it was by the Mamma Mia theatre, so he headed that way. He found the shop and began looking through all the merchandise. There was a box full of records of the soundtracks of the show. The Apollo cabin had a record player, so the gift would be perfect. He looked through these before finding a Phantom of the Opera record. Will had talked about this show before, so he decided to get it. He brought it up to the front counter and asked the cashier to ring him up. He didn't make a lot, but his father did pay him for his Ghost King duties, so he had enough to purchase the records. He grabbed the bag and he and Thalia were on their way.

Thalia and Nico walked right into a busy street, after going to a couple more stores. They were making almost no progress, trying to push through the crowd. Nico grabbed her wrist and gestured to an empty alleyway with his head. They broke through the crowd and emerged into the side street. Considering how crowded the sidewalk was, Nico was surprised that no one took the route of this side street. But, as the two demigods walked further down it, Nico sensed something was amiss.

"Thalia, I think-"

"Yeah, we need to get out-"

"Leaving so soon?" A teenage girl sauntered out from behind the dumpster. "Why, I rarely get guests in my alleyway. Only... certain people can see it."

Nico recognized the monster; it was an empousai. She had flaming hair, red eyes, fangs, and mismatched legs. He armed himself with his sword, dropping the shopping bags on the ground.

"We had fought more difficult monsters than you," Thalia said, adjusting the silver circlet on her head, showing that she was the lieutenant of Artemis. "My Ladyship will not be very pleased if she finds out that you attacked her lieutenant."

"But her Ladyship isn't here, now is she?" Another empousai emerged from behind them.

Nico turned so that his back was against Thalia's. She had drawn her bow but was not taking aim yet.

"Please, just let us pass, and I won't have to send you to Tartarus," Thalia warned.

Sounds of demonic laughter filled the alleyway. Four more empousai appeared.

"Do the math, sweetie; it's six to two!" The first empousai said. "And I doubt that your little boyfriend there is immune to our charm speak."

"He's not my boyfriend..."