Chapter 2 - Don't get too comfortable

I wake up in a panic the next morning as the sleeping quarters are silent and empty. "Fuck, I'm late" I say to myself, springing out of bed frantically trying to gather some clothes.  

I pull on a black pair of trousers, my white blouse, Slytherin tie and robes. My hair twisted into two loose braids that fall down my back, I manage to get on a small bit of makeup before heading into the common room. No one is to be seen or heard, so I sprint to potions. On route I pick my brain for a good enough excuse to be late on the first day back.

***

"Sorry I'm late sir that damned Peeves stopped me in the hallway!" I shout as I barge into potions class completely out of breath. "Miss Archer, nice of you to join us, please take a seat next to Natsai and Gareth and catch yourself up" Professor Sharp says in an angry tone. 

I make my way over to the table "Oh, and don't make a habit of being late" Sharp adds, I nod back at him as I take my seat next to my friends. 

"Don't worry you haven't missed anything, you know what he's like, always so intimidating" Natty chuckles, I smile back at her as I take my books out on the table. 

"Nice to see you Natty, how was your summer?" I respond, "it was okay thank you, my mother made me stay here though so nothing interesting to report back unfortunately" she sighs. 

"She's still got you under a close watch after you almost died for me I see?" I ask letting out a small laugh as I shake my head. "Indeed she does, but now school is back she'll be more lenient, I hope" Natty says. 

Professor Sharp set us the task of making a maxima potion, so we start adding ingredients to our pots as per the instructions. Suddenly, a few fireworks start exploding in our direction. 

"Fucking hell Gareth, we've been in class five minutes, what are you doing?" I let out as I duck from the incoming explosions. 

"Ah sorry Y/N added too many fwooper feathers! I'll have it under control in a moment" Gareth responds in a panic as he keeps adding more ingredients to his cauldron. 

"What are you making? The instructions do not require those?" I ask curiously. 

"I'm working on a new flying potion! I've been studying it all summer" he responds.

"Or you could just use a broom?" Natty adds, shrugging her shoulders.

"Brooms? I hate the bloody things, wouldn't catch me on one of them" Gareth replies, his concoction of a potion now increasingly getting worse. 

"Mr Weasley! What have I told you about sticking to instructions?" Professor Sharp shouts from across the room.

"Sorry sir, won't happen again" Gareth responds, his head now hanging low. 

"That's 10 points taken from Gryffindor" Sharp adds before turning his attention back to his writing. A selection of Gryffindor students let out a sigh and start moaning at Gareth for his actions. Me and Natty start laughing before turning back to own own work, I bottle up my perfectly made maxima potion, feeling quite proud of myself.

"Well done Y/N, 10 points to Slytherin" Sharp says to me as he examines the potion in his hands. I look to Gareth and laugh as he stares at Professor Sharp with a disapproving look. 

As we head out of potions, my owl Albie flies in and drops me a note into my hands. I open it confused as I walk down the corridor to my next class.

You have something that belongs to me, I will retrieve it whether you are dead or alive.

Those castle walls will not keep you safe forever, I will find you and I will take back what is rightfully mine.

I instantly stop in my tracks, finding a nearby bench to sit on whilst still staring intensely at the anonymous letter. Who has sent me this? Is this some form of a sick joke or is someone after me? What could they possibly want?

"Y/N?!" I hear a muffled voice say as I re-associate myself with my surroundings. 

"Y/N? Hello?" I look up and see Ominis and Sebastian standing above me, without even giving it a thought I quickly hide the letter in my pocket.

"Sorry, I was completely out of it" I respond. 

"We know, we've been trying to grab your attention for the last two minutes, are you coming to herbology?" Ominis asks. 

"Oh right, yes, of course, sorry let's go" I say as I bring myself to my feet, I start to walk but I feel a hand grasp my arm and pull me back.

"Hold on now" Sebastian says pulling me back towards him and Ominis. "What's wrong?" he adds.

"Oh it's nothing.. Gareth, erm, was making a new potion and I think inhaled some of it, sent me a bit funny that's all" I say panicking to come up with a realistic answer. 

"No surprise there, Weasley is constantly causing problems with his wild inventions" Ominis laughs. Luckily neither of them press me anymore, we head to herbology together, my mind still thinking about that letter...

***

"Today class we will be tending to our Chinese chomping cabbages that we planted at the end of last year" Professor Garlick addresses the class as we take our seats at our potting tables. "You will need to cut them perfectly otherwise they can get a little bit nasty, a gentle hand and some kind words should do the trick!" She adds.

I'm helping Ominis with his work, due to the nature of him being unable to see, he often found this class a little bit more difficult as extra care was needed, or so he says, I think he just secretly hates this class.

"Blasted things!" I turn around to see a chomping cabbage attacking Sebastian like a small dog, the fear in his face making the display much more entertaining than it already was, I stand there and laugh as I watch this strong manly looking boy be attacked by a small plant.

"Have I got to babysit the both of you like children?" I ask as I wave my wand towards the cabbage that's biting Sebastian at his ankles, freezing it in place. 

"This is why I hate herbology, things just attack you for no reason!" Sebastian says as he readjusts his robes, shaking his head. 

"Kind words Sebastian, and a gentle hand, it's really not that hard" Ominis says sarcastically. "Oh shut up Ominis, you didn't even see what happened" Sebastian replies, "I didn't need to-" I let them to argue it out and try to turn my attention back to my own plants, until I find myself quickly drifting off into deep thought about that note. 

If someone is after me, then why? What could I possibly possess that belongs to them? My mind tries to piece together theories and explanations, but nothing is connecting. There were a few loyalists left after the defeat of Ranrok, but they quickly fled in small numbers... 

"Merlins beard Archer, that's the second time today" I hear Sebastians voice, realising that I completely blocked out my surroundings for my thoughts, again. I stare at him and Ominis with a confused look on my face, before scanning the room to see that other students are packing up their things. 

"Let's grab a drink in Hogsmead tonight, Y/N you look like you need it" Ominis suggests. "I bloody need one after that class, I'm in!" Sebastian adds, "Y/N? What do you say?" Ominis continues. 

"Sure, sounds good. I'll meet you both at the north exit around 6pm?" I ask with a smile on my face. They both nod and smile in agreement. 

---------------------------------

Author Notes

Sorry it's such a slow burner! I promise something is coming in the next chapter, I want this to be an ongoing book not just a quick fan fiction. I'm trying my best to set the scene so bare with :)