Chapter 24 - The final battle

Theo POV

As we locked gazes with the ashwinders, tension hung heavy in the air, each side waiting for the decisive moment. Abruptly, one of the ashwinders unleashed the dreaded words, "Avada Kedavra!" Instinctively, we all dropped to the ground, narrowly evading the lethal curse that skimmed dangerously close to our heads. The battle had commenced.

Reunited with the professors, we fought side by side, a formidable force against Harlow's army. Spells and hexes flew in a chaotic dance, as we pushed forward with unwavering determination. Amidst the chaos, I stole quick glances at y/n, ensuring her safety in fleeting moments. With a shared language of subtle smiles and sarcastic eye rolls, we communicated our resilience, deflecting incoming attacks and launching our own devastating spells.

Suddenly, a piercing scream pierced the tumultuous soundscape. I snapped my head around, witnessing Samantha being tackled by an ashwinder. Before any of us could intervene, a familiar voice thundered, casting the Unforgivable Curse, "Imperio!" Time seemed to stand still as we watched the ashwinder's eyes turn a haunting shade of green. He released Samantha, now compelled to turn against his own allies. We turned towards the source of the intervention, finding Ominis with his wand trained on the manipulated assailant.

"I can feel all your eyes on me. I did say it was permissible in a matter of life or death," Ominis remarked with a touch of sarcasm, drawing a shake of the head and a chuckle from me. With renewed focus, I returned my attention to the ongoing battle, fully committed to the fight at hand.

The relentless battle raged on, stretching through the night and into the early morning hours. Exhaustion weighed heavily upon us, our bodies drained of every ounce of energy. Healing potions were dwindling, and our numbers remained outnumbered. In the midst of the chaotic fray, I made the difficult decision to break away from the group, facing off against four relentless ashwinders.

Engaging in a desperate struggle, I fought valiantly to defend myself. However, one of them managed to land a devastating spell, sending me crashing to the ground. Overwhelmed and vulnerable, I watched in resignation as the ashwinder towered above me, their wand pressed menacingly against my neck. They began muttering another spell, and I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the inevitable end. Yet, to my astonishment, the ashwinder suddenly collapsed beside me, writhing in pain. Opening my eyes, I found Sebastian Sallow standing over me, extending his arm to help me up.

Never in my life did I anticipate feeling such overwhelming relief at the sight of this boy's face. I allowed him to pull me to my feet, slapping him on the back with a mixture of gratitude and exhaustion. "Thanks, mate," I uttered, my voice laced with weariness. He shot me a brief smile before gesturing for me to follow him, guiding me back towards the group.

As we approached, only a handful of ashwinders remained, their forces dwindling. The professors had split off, strategically aiming to secure the remaining sections of the repository and draw the battle away from the coveted orb of magic. Y/n's eyes lit up with a mix of joy and relief as she spotted me and Sebastian approaching, causing her to momentarily lower her wand, a smile gracing her face.

Y/N POV

I ran towards the two boys, embracing them tightly for a brief moment before pulling away. Sebastian spoke first, his voice filled with urgency. "I got here as soon as I could," he said. I met his gaze, my lips pressed together tightly. "Thank you," I replied, my gratitude palpable. Our exchange was abruptly interrupted by a spell hurtling towards us, but Theo swiftly stepped in, blocking it with his own magic. We joined forces against the remaining enemies, fighting with renewed determination, giving every ounce of strength we had left. The five of us fought side by side, a unified force against our adversaries.