Chapter 19 - Are we too late?

Theo POV

Gathering everyone, I ushered them towards y/n's dorm, my mind racing as I contemplated the implications of her letter to Sebastian. She wasn't stupid, and this situation went beyond a mere Harlow-led kidnapping; otherwise, it would have occurred long ago. There had to be something that I missed when I searched there last time. 

Choosing not to elaborate, I instructed them to search y/n's room for any hint or anomaly. "Theo, what exactly are we looking for?" Samantha queried, her voice filled with curiosity.

"Anything that strikes you as out of place or unusual. I can't say for sure," I replied, my words trailing off as my attention was drawn to something. Leaning over y/n's bed, I seized an empty cigarette packet from her nightstand.

"Found something!" I declared, prompting Sebastian to approach me, an expression of perplexity etched upon his face.

"An empty cigarette packet? How is that relevant?" he questioned, his tone laced with doubt.

"Y/n never buys her own cigarettes; she always steals mine," I explained before tilting my head at Sebastian with a raised eyebrow, conveying a silent message of 'I told you so.' He responded with a nonchalant shrug. Turning the packet upside down, I tapped it against my hand, and to my surprise, a small folded piece of parchment slipped into my palm. Gazing at Sebastian, I wordlessly conveyed my point as he shrugged once again. I unfolded the note and began reading.

"Theo

Firstly, well done. You're smarter than I gave you credit for. It's probably been a few days since I wrote this, so hopefully, it's not too late.

Sebastian was right; I wasn't doing enough, and our last plan failed because of me. The guilt from that party overwhelmed me, and I had to face this alone. Ensure he receives the cure and that it works. At least my inevitable death will be worthwhile.

Secure the repository. Harlow will head straight there after dealing with me.

Tell Sebastian I love him, and I hope he finds the peace he deserves.

- Y/N x "

As I read and reread the letter, a seething frustration built up inside me, reaching a boiling point. I couldn't contain it any longer. Raising my gaze from the note, I found everyone's eyes fixed on me, anticipating my reaction. Instead, I lunged towards Sebastian, gripping him by the neck and slamming him against the wall.

"You did this! It's your fault she's gone!" I shouted at him, my face mere inches away from his. Ominis and Samantha swiftly intervened, pulling me back, with Ominis stepping between us.

"What the fuck are you talking about, Riddle?" Sebastian retorted, attempting to reach me but restrained by Ominis. I remained silent, merely passing him the note. Intently, I observed as his eyes scanned the parchment. His body slumped against the wall, sliding down until his knees met his chest.

"I... I don't understand," Sebastian stammered, tears welling up in his eyes.

"You pushed her too far, Sallow, and now she's sacrificing herself for you," I snapped, anger still coursing through my veins.

"I never meant for any of this to happen," Sebastian sobbed. The room fell into a heavy silence as the weight of our limited time to find y/n settled upon us. Breaking free from Samantha's support, I rushed towards Sebastian, desperate to find a way forward.

"Give me the letter with the cure," I demanded in a blunt tone, stretching out my arm toward Sebastian. He met my gaze, tears welling in his eyes, as he fumbled through his pocket to retrieve the parchment he had received earlier. Carefully, he placed it into my trembling hand.