Ren and the Crossing

"What happened to you, dude?" Ren asked, as Tango backed weirily in. His buffers were bent, and cracked. And, there was a piece of wood, sat on his front. There had been a series of storms that had swept across the island, this had brought fierce winds with it!
"The wind blew the gates open.." Tango replied. "I wasn't able to stop in time and..."
He trailed off. Ren was sympathetic!
"That's awful. dude!" Ren exclaimed! "I hope the workmen can mend you soon!"
"Me too.." Sighed Tango. "I just hope the same thing won't happen to anyone else!"
Ren froze. He knew in harsh winds, anything could be possible. He became, rather concerned.

The next day, Ren was on local passenger trains. However, he was now paranoid. Everything seemed like it was about to jump out at him! And do the same damage it had done to Tango! Ren's crew noticed his reduced speed.
"Come on, sugar!" His driver called out! "What's wrong, why you goin so slow!?"
"Oh! Urm.... No reason!" Ren replied! "No reason at all!"
His crew didn't buy his story.
"What do you think it is?" Asked the stoker. The driver shrugged.
"Not sure!" She replied. "We'll look him over at the works station."
They did, they looked Ren all over, but found no problem. So, with no idea what to make of the matter, Ren continued the same shtick.

Right before the junction to Edward's Branchline, there is a level crossing. This is where Patrick hit the lorry not long ago. The man operating the crossing is given a strict timetable, and to only use that. He set the crossing for Ren's local. However, it never came."Something must be up." He thought.
"I'll open the gates!"He did. The gates had remained open for a few minutes, when Ren arrived. He was late, being overly paranoid!
"Good!" He said! "Nothing here to attack me!"
He was going a little faster, due to the hill, as he rounded the bend, he saw the crossing was closed!
"STOP!" He cried! Ren's crew threw on the brakes! But the wet rails did Ren no good! He tore through the gates! Tearing them to pieces! The jolt caused the train to slow, and he stopped before plowing through the second pair.
"Oh dear..."Ren said. "That's not good... Isn't it?"
"No." Replied his driver, bluntly. "It is not."
Ren looked down at his buffers. Soon, a newly repaired Tango arrived!
"Well!" Tango said. "I know I said I hoped no one got into a similar situation, but I didn't mean to turn it into a competition!"
"I got too paranoid!" Ren replied. "Didn't wanna have the same fate. Look where that got me!"
"So that's why you were going so slow!" His driver gasped! Ren laughed.
"Yes!" He announced theatrically! "I just wanted to avoid crashing through crossing gates!"
"And, yet, here we are." Grumbled the stoker, placing a stern hand over Ren's damaged front. "Yes.. I see that now." Ren replied sadly.
"Ahh well!" Tango smiled! "We live and learn! Now, let's get you home!"
Ren smiled in return. And, buffer to buffer, the two engines puffed for home.