Peter, Benson and the Pullman

The Pullman is a non stop express service that runs from the big station to the works station. This train is usually pulled by Lady Anne. However, if she's busy or unwell, one of the other engines will sometimes take it. Usually, it goes to Benson. Who, one night, returned home full of pride! Lady Anne sat in the corner of the shed, looking dreadful.
"The passengers only sang my praises!" Benson gloated to the others. "Pride of the line, on time, reliable and of course, really useful!"
The other engines ignored him, but it didn't sway the big green engine.
"Oh yes!" He went on. "I'm much better than any goods engine! Much better than..."
His eyes flicked across the sheds. His eyes landed on the large purple engine turning around.
"Much better than grubby old Peter here!"
".. Huh?" Peter was confused. "What did I do?"
"Just.. Just look at you!" Benson almost gagged. "You're not fit to be seen! You must be cleaned at once!"
"I don't mind." Peter smiled. "The only company I really have is the loud chatter of the trucks.. That, and Beatrice, of course."
"Foul thing!" Benson huffed! "You'd never take a propper train!"
"Erm... Right." Peter raised an eyebrow. Peter backed into his part of the shed, unsure what to make of the situation. "What a strange engine."

The next morning, Peter huffed into the yard. As he was filling up on coal, Benson came rolling by, blowing steam theatrically!
"PEEP! PEEP!" Benson chortled! "I HOPE YOU AREN'T PULLING TRUCKS! YOU LOOK DISGUSTING!"
Benson was heading backwards, right for trouble. The points behind him were set for the wrong line! Peter noticed this.
"Benson."
"I've always known engines like you are no use at all!"
"Benson!"
"I honestly recon you should be kept to your grubby goods trains! Who needs-!?"
"BENSON!" Benson noticed the points too late! His tender was tossed off the rails, right onto the sleepers!
"Ouch!" Benson cried! "What happened!?"
The Fat Controller was not happy when he saw the crash.
"With Lady Anne being mended, there's no one to cover the Pullman.." The Fat Controller shook his head. "I hope this teaches you to behave."
"Yes sir. Sorry sir." Replied Benson. "What about the Pullman?"
"Perhaps I can help?" Peter put in brightly. "I can bring it to whoever might be nearby?"
"Rubbish!" Benson huffed. "That'll never work!"
"Oh yes it will!" Replied The Fat Controller. "No time to lose! You'll have to take it up to the works station, Lady Anne will be ready when you get there!"
"Are you sure about this?" Peter's guard looked worried. "Peter, shockingly, wasn't built for passenger trains."
"It's the best we can do." Affirmed The Fat Controller.

In no time, Peter backed onto the passenger coaches. The passengers ogled at the purple engine!
"Coo. He's certainly dirty." They all said. "What a fascinating engine!"
Peter felt a little uneasy. At last, the guard blew her whistle, and Peter started off with a clang!
"Come on! Come on!" He peeped to the coaches!
"We're coming along.. We're coming along.." The coaches grumbled from behind him!

Peter whizzed along the line! Soon enough, he began to feel better.
"Steady old boy!" His stoker called out! "Don't push yourself!"
Peter made sure to ride steadily, the coaches ran smoothly, and, in what felt like no time, the works station came into view! Lady Anne watched in amazement as Peter brought his coaches to the platform. The passengers all hollered and cheered!
"Well done!" They called! "We're right on time!"
They all happily sauntered back into the station, where Peter was taken off. Lady Anne only whistled as she passed. Peter smiled broadly.

That night, Peter found The Fat Controller waiting for him at the yard.
"Well done, Peter." The Fat Controller applauded. "I'm very proud of you!"
Peter smiled.
"No problem sir! Trains must get through." His eyes flicked to Benson, rolling in, one of Peter's goods trains in tow. He didn't say anything, but Peter could tell that Benson had a lot to think about.