Gareth and the Glass Panes

The canopy of the big station was getting refitted! The old and warped slabs of glass were in dire need of repair. So, The Fat Controller ordered replacement panes, hoping to have them installed before the busy summer season!

One evening, The Fat Controller came to see the engines.
"The new glass panes for the canopy will be arriving tomorrow." The Fat Controller explained. "They are very fragile, so, please be careful!"
"Yes sir." Chimed the engines. And The Fat Controller left. At last, Gareth spoke up.
"Well, that's just ridiculous!" Gareth snorted! "Glass panes getting their own train indeed!?"
"It's most likely just a flatbed or two." Grolton replied. "Not a whole train."
"THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!" Gareth wrapped!
"Now, yer the oone bein ridiculous." Donald quipped. "Pipe down lad."
"Oh shut up!" Gareth snapped! "It's absurd and downright irresponsible!"
The engines tried to reason with Gareth, but it did no good.
"Glass panes indeed!?" He huffed. "What nonsense!"

The next day, a ship arrived with the glass panes! The cranes loaded them onto the flatbeds, and Chattem brought them up to the big station. One of the platforms was closed, and Donald shuffled the breakdown train into place.
"This is sure to cause some confusion." Donald's driver laughed.
"And no end of delays." His stoker added.
"I'm aware of that." Replied The Fat Controller. "But we'll just have to make the best of a bad situation."
And so they did.

A few hours later, Gareth sauntered towards the big station.
"He's steaming stubbornly." His driver grumbled. "Somethings gotten him all fired up."
"Perhaps we'll find out." The stoker pointed out of the cab, seeing the old glass panes. Suddenly, as if by magic, the sun came shining out, shoving Gareth and his train into the giant beam of light!
"AHH!" Wailed Gareth! "I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING!"
Nor could his crew! They didn't even see the red signal, or the breakdown train, with the flatbeds coupled up the back! At last, Gareth's eyes shot open, to see the workmens train only a hundred yards ahead!
"STOP! STOP!" He groaned! His crew threw on the brakes, but it was too late! Gareth hit the train, sending it careening into the end of the platform! The glass panes were smashed to smithereens! Luckily, no one had been standing on the platform, and the workmen were all unhurt, but Gareth was very surprised!
"Good grief!" He croaked out! "What happened!?"
"Ya over-ran a red signal!" Donald replied. "Thank goodness it dinni'e do more damage!"
Gareth was relieved.

Soon, The Fat Controller arrived.
"It wasn't Gareth's fault." Said the driver.
"I know, I know, don't worry." The Fat Controller held up his hand. "This wasn't anyone's fault, and I'm just glad you weren't hurt. Although, it'll take a lot of time to repair the broken platform, let alone the new canopy."
Gareth felt very ashamed. Gareth's front end was badly twisted, so he had to go to the works. As he turned around on the turntable, he felt the other engines eyeballing him carefully.
"Fucking idiot." Grolton laughed, as he set off with his trucks. Gareth didn't dare reply.
"Let's just hope the works are quiet." He said.