wake up call

You were woken up by your phone, or more specifically by the sight of a notification listing ten missed calls which you'd somehow slept through, immediately you sat up and called them back "finally! Where were you! The Daycare opens in fifteen minutes and the attendant is out of service we need you NOW" you shot out of bed in a panic "what do you mean out of service??" You asked, quickly yanking on a pair of pants and dashing out of the door "I mean out of service, just hurry up and get here, you can see for yourself"
"I'm on my way"
You were there in a matter of minutes and Vanessa was waiting at the door for you, quickly leading you towards the secondary parts and service room, explaining on the way "I found them up in their room about an hour ago, their wiring is mangled and they won't start up, I had to have Monty bring em to parts and service for me" she then grabbed something that was hooked on her belt "oh, and they were holding these" she said, holding out a small pair of wire cutters, you frowned and walked into the secondary parts and service room to find Sun already on the workbench, his eyes were black and his chest and stomach plating were both off, his wiring did look quite grim but upon closer inspection you realized that it was mostly just tangled up, "I've got it from here, thank you" you muttered, looking over your shoulder at Vanessa, she simply nodded and set the wire cutters on the bench before walking out of the room "I'm gonna go get someone to watch the Daycare" she shouted before you could faintly hear her calling for Monty of all people
Your mind wandered as you sorted through Sun's wiring, looking for the source of the issue while trying to figure out where he even got wire cutters from and why he would've done this to himself, especially after your conversation last night, the source of the problem was thankfully something easy, his central power cable had been pulled loose, you plugged it back in, resting your hands on his inner frame as you waited for him to boot back up, anticipating the fact that there might be more to repair, slowly his fans began to whir and his eyes lit up, he sounded like an old computer starting up and that would've been funny if not for the circumstance
You didn't even get a word out before you found yourself on the floor, having been shoved quite abruptly "GET AWAY FROM US" the animatronic screeched before clasping a hand over his mouth, seeming horrified, for a moment you figured it must've been a mistake "why'd you do that?! You could've hurt them!" Sun squawked, reaching out to you, you reached for his hand only for him to take a swipe at you, missing by centimeters and quickly grabbing the sides of his head making strained noises as he seemed to be struggling quite a lot, his faceplate morphing between his and Moon's colors and his rays popping in and out wildly "Moon stop!" He leaned towards you but doubled over as soon as his torso flexed, letting out a scream which seemed all too visceral and real to have come from an animatronic and gripping tightly at the exposed wiring of his belly "please please let them help us it hurts it hurts!" He begged frantically, you had scrambled back against the wall not wanting to get caught in the crossfire of whatever it was that was happening "let me talk to them Sun NOW" the animatronic barked, you took the hint and turned off the light since it seemed Moon really wanted to front right now, it instantly became much quieter, Moon remained hunched over with a hand gripping his wiring, still seeming to be in pain but not showing it as much as Sun did, "what happened?" You asked, cautiously taking a step towards him, he jerked his head up and glared at you with red eyes "what did you do?!" He snapped causing you to step right back to your position against the wall "Moon? Your ai okay?" You asked "Tell me what happened! What did you do to him?!" He snarled "what do you mean?" You questioned, patting the wall in search of the light switch, Moon looked towards your hand "do you want him to suffer more?" The question led you to cease your search "last night, what did you do?" He questioned "Sun blocked me out but I know you were here, I know it, Sun was acting different and our chest plate was ajar when I came too, what were you doing? Sun never blocks me" He questioned "we were just talking" you answered "about what?" He continued, not giving you time to answer before tacking on "I want every detail NOW" he then gripped the sides of his head "shutupshutup stop defending them let them answer!" He shouted, presumably at Sun, you hesitated but answered after a moment "we were talking about you, kind of, Sun shut you out because he didn't want you to be embarrassed...he was telling me that he didn't mind if I 'liked' you...as long as I didn't hurt you...he took off your arm to get me to come in and took off your chest plate to get my attention when I tried to leave...he was probably acting funny cause he doesn't like to keep things from you"
Moon seemed lost in thought for a moment, his eyes turning from red to yellow "you took off our arm??" He questioned, you were about to reply when you realized he was talking to Sun
Moon still seemed wary of you, refusing to look directly at you and noticeably trembling when you stepped closer "are you gonna tell me what you did now, why did you go and break yourself?"
Moon scoffed "I wasn't trying to...I was trying to fix something" he muttered
"Yeah clearly you did a real good job at that" you replied with sarcasm before softening your approach as the animatronic seemed extremely shaken up "you could've told me if something needed fixing you know, it's what I'm here for" you said, reaching out to touch his shoulder but retracting your hand when he flinched "I didn't want you to know about it"
"Again, I have in fact disassembled you and put you back together, I know everything there is to know about" you mumbled "clearly not because if you knew everything then you'd know there's a part in here that wasn't on our blueprint" he motioned vaguely to his belly and you thought for a moment, remembering that you had in fact seen something odd "well there was a conduction based touch sensor attached to the back of your frame...I thought it was a weird place for a sensor but you guys are full of sensors so I'd assumed it was some sort of patch for an oddball malfunction or something" you replied, Moon went quiet, seeming stunned for a moment "it's not" he finally managed to mutter, barely audible "it's...an upgrade...or that's what she called it anyway it's...well you don't really need to know what it is, just that it shouldn't be"
"She?" You questioned
"old maintenance tech"
You slowly nodded "so you were trying to take it out?" You asked, earning a nod from Moon "I realized that my hands are too big to reach it so I just tried to cut the wire but I think I got the wrong one...it hurts...a lot" he explained, seeming horribly embarrassed
"Even if you did get the right one it'd be bad to just have bare wire ends loose in your torso y'know, that's why you've got me here to help with these things" you said, moving a bit closer "are you going to let me fix it?"
Moon slowly nodded, hesitantly moving his hands away from his belly and sitting up to give you better access, hissing with pain as he did so, you went to your tools to retrieve a heat gun, some shock resistant gloves, a few other tools that you may or may not need, and of course a headlamp so that you could see what you were doing, returning to Moon who shrank back nervously, gripping the edge of the table tightly, his eyes had returned back to being blue though he still refused to look at you, flinching when you stuck your arms out in front of him like you were going to be handcuffed, he looked at your arms and tilted his head with notable confusion "you can hold onto my arms if it makes you feel better, you're a lot stronger than me so if you get too uncomfortable you can stop me pretty easily" you explained, Moon seemed satisfied with that, grabbing onto your arms loosely and watching as you put on the gloves and lowered yourself, turning on the headlamp to look into his wiring towards where you'd seen that odd sensor which was a bit further back in his abdomen than you'd checked earlier, it seemed almost as though Moon had torn up every wire besides the right one before clipping one entire and presumably accidentally unplugging his power, thankfully most of the wires simply had their casings torn and could be saved with just some electric tape but the one he'd clipped would likely need to be replaced, you wrapped up each wire being careful not to let any of the exposed copper of the wires touch each other, figuring that had to have been what made Sun scream like he had earlier, Moon seemed to be aware of every minor movement of your hands, watching you as you worked although he couldn't see that far into his own torso to know what you were doing exactly "how bad is it?" He asked "you tore yourself up pretty bad man, I'm not surprised it hurt so much"
You finished wrapping his stripped wires and Your next order of business was to remove that sensor, using the heat gun to soften the adhesive on the back and pulling it off with little effort, it was a square piece made from a brittle glass-like sort of plastic, looking much like a small screen which reacted to conductive materials like metal or skin being pressed against it, of course your shock resistant gloves stopped your hands from activating the sensor and you were glad for it when you followed the wire and found that it was shoddily connected directly into the animatronic's positive feedback receptor without any sort of buffers or inhibitors, activating the sensor would've been a near instant overload of his processors and the faint scorch marks surrounding the poorly done connection told you that it had almost definitely been used before You were especially careful when severing the connection though it did still seem to cause Moon notable discomfort, finally you pulled the sensor out wire and all and held it up victoriously "got it!" Moon glared at the little chunk of plastic and metal "good" he grumbled, letting go of your arm to take the sensor from you and immediately crush it in his hand and toss it into a nearby garbage can, seeming relieved that it was gone and also much more relaxed about you working on him, you replaced the clipped wire and finally stood up straight again, patting the animatronic's leg lightly "better?" He nodded "much better."
"Glad I could help" you said with a smile, finally putting his torso plating back on "you'd swear everyone here thinks they're a mechanic with the way they just stick stuff on you, I wonder what sorta 'upgrades' some of the other animatronics around here have" you grumbled, not paying attention as you cleaned up and Moon walked over to the light switch "I'm sorry for shouting at you earlier...I was just worried about Sun...which by the way there is one more thing I need you to do" he explained before turning the lights on at which point Sun pounced at you almost instantly, lifting you up and looking you over before hugging you tightly "y/n are you okay??!! What happened is Moon alright?!" He questioned rapidly, not giving you enough time to answer anything before moving to the next question "Sunny...Sun!" You interrupted, he pulled back to look at you and you softly stroked his cheek "everything is okay sweetheart, Moon just needed some maintenance okay?"
Sun slowly nodded and you pressed a kiss to his nose "now, you've a job to do and I think they've got Monty and Vanessa trying to run the daycare which I'm certain is going poorly" Sun jumped up at that, dashing out of the room without much warning "OH NO!!"