eighteen

"ry can you come grab more ice with me?" john b asked at the bonfire later that night "the beers are getting cold"

"i can come" pope offered "i don't mind"

"no i need riley" john b declared causing a few weird looks from his friends "it's uhhh... a twin thing"

"right..." jj raised his brow "weird"

riley followed john b back into the house "i don't know why you needed help getting a bag of ice" riley laughed "and 'twin thing'? what does that even mean"

"so what's going on with you and rafe?" john b blurted "i mean i saw you staring at him earlier and you specifically sat next to him at the fire"

"what's with everyone asking me about rafe lately?" riley rolled her eyes "we're just friends-"

"riley" john b deadpanned "remember how you said you were gonna start being honest with me? you promised" he insisted "i know you"

riley wouldn't budge for a moment but then she gave up "i don't want to hurt jj" she sighed "or turn rafe and jj against each other"

"i think you just need to be honest with both of them" john b suggested "i'm sure that jj will understand"

"it's just hard" riley explained "i like jj but it's different with rafe"

john b smiled "yeah... i can tell you what that is" he paused "that's the difference between like and love"

"you think i'm in love with rafe" she asked "i don't think i've ever been in love"

"ry yes you have... with rafe" he laughed "talk to jj then tell rafe, you'll regret it if you don't"

"i gotta say, i never thought i'd see the day that your encourage me to date rafe cameron" riley laughed.

"jj could we take a walk?" riley asked after returning to the fire "i wanna talk to you"

"of course" jj smiled. riley looked at rafe who looked disappointed as her and jj walked away, she hoped that he didn't get the wrong idea.

the two sat on the dock side by side "so i wanted to go back to what we were talking about earlier" she began "about rafe..."

"oh... yeah" he nodded "what about him?"

"well... i wanted you for so long jay, since i met you and i jokingly flirted with you for years but we both knew that i was serious" she explained "i liked you so much and i still do but i think i got to a point where i just gave up... so when you kissed me i was happy but it didn't feel the way i thought it would"

riley waited a moment before continuing, she thought long and hard about what she wanted to say and how to make it come out in the least harsh way possible.

"i waited around for you for so long and then got sick of waiting... i moved on" she sighed "i never wanted to hurt you or have to choose but-"

"-it's always been him" jj interrupted "i get it ry, it's okay really" he smiled weakly.

"is it?" she asked "it's been really nice to see everyone getting along with rafe and i don't want that to change... i don't want shit to change between you and me jay"

"nothings gonna change, i promise... you're my best friend" he assured "are you in love with him?"

"...yeah" riley said softly "i think so"

"well... i'm bummed that it's not me but i just want you to be happy" he smirked "plus you managed to turn rafe cameron into a decent dude... like he's seriously under your spell"

"yeah" riley smiled "you know... kie's been staring at you all day"

"no! don't play match maker just because you broke my heart" he joked "i'm not that pathetic"

"no i'm serious, plus she really wanted to ride on your bike today" riley insisted "i think kie's got it bad for you"

"i don't wanna get my hopes up" jj shrugged but it was clear that he was blushing.

riley laid her head on jj's shoulder then looked up at him, they kissed one final time; they knew it wouldn't give either of them mixed signals, it was just the end of the romance between them.