Part 9

In the far corner of the ward a small area was closed off. There were silver, metal rails along the roof, allowing a long, white curtain to act like a sort of door. Though the curtain was creased, it was spotlessly clean, like the rest of the hospital. It was so clean, it seemed to be luminescent. The Nurse pulled her through that, and stood still.

Inside the curtain was a small room. There was a tall bed, with a fat, snow white pillow and sheet and a small, curved blue stool tucked underneath, presumably for little children. Lucy stared, secretly a bit scared, at the nurse's grim face. Then, the nurse grinned a lopsided, toothy grin, her cold demeanour melting away completely. "Sorry about how I behaved to you. I am truly ashamed," she said. Lucy didn't understand. If she was sorry, then why had she done it? As if reading her mind, the nurse replied "It is my job to intimidate the children, because it is usually the only way they will allow me to administer the medicine and drugs they need. But I hate doing it. It is wrong, it is not right. But it is the only way, otherwise they would get so poorly that they would eventually die."

Lucy stared at her. Were the fairy children really so scared of hospitals they wouldn't let anyone give them medicine, even if it was the only way to save their life? Wow, they were wimps. Why would they rather die than have medicine and drugs administered into their bodies? Even if it was via an injection, (which, to be honest, it probably was) surely having a couple of injections would be better than dying! Oh well. It wasn't really Lucy's problem, but she still couldn't help wondering.

After giving her a regular check up, the nurse took Lucy back out of the room they had just entered, and led her towards a big door next to the beds. As soon as they noticed Lucy, all the patients started whispering again. Suddenly, the voice of a young boy cried out "AAAGH! MY HAND!" The nurse ran over immediately, and whipped a sterile bandage out of her pocket. She seemed a wonder to Lucy, being so prepared.

"Not again, Ivan," the nurse groaned. Suddenly, Lucy had a thought. Ivan - ivy! His plant/flower must have been some form of ivy!

Ivan was a short, thin little boy, with scruffy-looking clothes and messy hair in bad need of a cut. His face was pale, his eyes wide and wary. He looked

shy, and possibly a little scared. But Lucy didn't know why. Sprouting from his shoulder blades were small blue-green wings, not yet fully grown. They grew through rips in his shirt. That was probably why everyone seemed to have them tucked away under their jackets. So their clothing didn't get ripped.

Just then, Lucy realised that the nurse was standing right behind her again. "Well, go on then," she snarled in Lucy's face, but Lucy caught her wink.She started walking only to have the nurse grab her right wrist and yank it in the other direction after telling her she was going the "Wrong flippin' way." They carried on walking forward, the nurse, Lucy, and Ivan, and soon came to the big door. Nervously looking over her shoulder, Lucy pushed the big door open and walked inside. 

Ugh, I know it's really bad, but I love Ivan sooo much <33
Okay, so- Is anybody actually enjoying this so far?
(be honest, but don't be cruel. I can take criticism, but there is no need to be mean about it!)