Part 12

The nurse hugged Lucy sympathetically. "It's not your fault," she said.

"It is," replied Lucy. "I provoked her." Even though the nurse was trying to comfort her the best she could, Lucy still felt lonely, and lost. Rose had been her only guide in this strange new world, and now she was gone.

Lucy turned over, and sobbed with her face buried in her pillow. Unable to comfort her, the nurse gave a sigh, and left the room. Slowly, she fell asleep. Rose's laughing, mocking face wove in and out of her dreams, taunting and upsetting the distraught Lucy.

Suddenly, Lucy woke up. The nurse's smiling, happy head was poking round the door, and she was telling Lucy that she had a 'very important visitor indeed!', and Lucy had an idea of who it might be. "Rose...?" she asked. "Is that you?"

"Nope!" Ivans round, boyish face popped round the side of the door. Lucy tried not to be disappointed. It was surprisingly hard. She was glad to see Ivan, of course, but she would rather it was Rose. No offense to Ivan, but she just wanted her friend back. Her first proper friend. And, because of Lucy, she was gone.

Rose gave a sigh. She wished she hadn't stormed off like that. Now Lucy probably thought Rose hated her. Rose silently cursed her fiery temper. It would be the death of her someday. And it had lost her the only friend she had ever really made. Her best friend. And, because of Rose, she probably would never see her again. She thought the nurse wouldn't even let her visit, because she knew what had happened since Lucy would have told her. But, though Rose didn't know this at the time, she was wrong. The nurse would have given anything for Rose to come and cheer Lucy up. She knew of Rose's temper. She knew it wasn't her fault.

As Rose sat on her bed trying to read, thoughts scurried through her mind. She gave up trying to read her book, and lay on her bed with her long hair fanned out and covering the pillow. She wished she could visit Lucy so she could beg for her forgiveness, but it was past visiting time and Lucy would probably not forgive her anyway, so it would also be a waste of breath which she might need for things in the future, as her Grandma would say.

Suddenly a gong sounded, interrupting her thoughts. Slowly, she tramped down the hundreds of stairs to dinner. She was too miserable even to use the red button for the slide. The dinner was her favourite, but she barely noticed. She was too busy thinking about Lucy, and her servant could see that.

Heyy , how are you doing? Anybody want a free hug?
Remember guys, I know I'm a stranger but I'm always here if you want to talk <3