Part 29

Lucy looked up, and saw the crowd of people parting as someone pushed through. The nurse she had been hoping to see appeared, and sat on the end of Lucy's bed. Lucy looked down at her lap, hair falling over her face and tickling her neck. "Tell me everything," she heard the nurse say.

Lucy opened her mouth, before closing it again. Where did she even start?

She lifted a shaking hand to tuck the loose strands of hair behind her ear, and opened her mouth again, this time with a story in her head to tell. As she spoke, the room fell into an enthralled silence. The room was engrossed. Lucy's story was difficult to tell, and she had to backtrack several times to include details she had forgotten. It was confusing to listen to, but they seemed to get the general idea. She told them everything, except about the photograph. That part she kept to herself. The moment that Lucy finished taking, they sprang into action.

One particularly short round man with a long curly moustache and tubby oval wings protruding from his untidy black suit appeared to be in charge. He shouted out instructions and waved his hands around a lot, sending doctors and nurses running off in all different directions. To Lucy, the room looked like chaos, but the moustache man seemed to know what he was doing, and did not look stressed at all. He looked completely in charge of the situation, and at ease. He wasn't even breaking a sweat.

Lucy sat, trembling, in her bed. She had no idea what was going on, or where to go, or what to do. She felt a panic attack coming on and tried to suppress it but it of course didn't work. Her heart was pounding, and her breaths were coming quick and fast. Just breathing seemed incredibly difficult, like her lungs had collapsed and her throat had closed up. There felt like there was a lump in the back of her throat, preventing her from swallowing properly. Lucy was aware of her entire body shaking, her hands in particular. Her hands felt tingly, and like she had pins and needles in her fingertips. Her head hurt, and her vision swam for a second as a wave of dizziness washed over her. She was vaguely aware of someone sitting down on the bed next to her, and taking her shaking hands in theirs.

"Breathe," said a familiar voice. "In and out, in and out."

Slowly, Lucy felt herself relaxing and her heart slowing down to its normal pace as the adrenaline stopped rushing through her veins. Her hands returned to normal, but she was still shaking madly. A wave of fatigue and tiredness washed over her, and she leant weakly on the person sitting next to her, unaware of who it was still. Lucy felt strong arms around her, guiding her back into bed. She fell against the headboard with a thump.

In front of Lucy sat Rose, but she looked different. Like she hadn't slept in days. "Hey," said Rose softly. "You alright?"

Lucy nodded, still a bit short of breath. "Yeah," She replied. "Just a panic attack. You?"

Rose nodded, looking down at her lap for a second, before looking back up at Lucy. Her tone changed from soft and vulnerable to business-like and practical as she said "Come on then. Dad says you're to share my bedroom until the hospital has another room available, in case the man comes back again. What actually happened, anyway? The doctors I spoke to wouldn't tell me the full story."

They got up, and Lucy recalled the story she had told the hospital staff earlier as she followed Rose around the castle. Except this time, she included the photograph.

"What did the man look like?" Rose asked, as they walked through her bedroom door. This time, Lucy had made it up the stairs.

"I've told you already," replied Lucy. "He had a teardrop tattoo on his cheek, I think his left, messy dirty blond hair the same colour as yours, and really bright blue eyes. He gave me really creepy vibes."

Rose nodded thoughtfully, a troubled expression clouding her face. But she pushed it away, and came up with another question to cover her concern.

"Did you see who the thief was, or what he looked like?"

Lucy's eyes widened as she remembered another crucial detail. "Yeah," she whispered hoarsely, feeling a lump rise in the back of her throat. "It was the man in the photograph. He told me not to tell anybody. His exact words were; 'you saw nothing'. His- his voice, it was really hoarse, and rough." Lucy shivered at the memory of it, But Rose's reaction was quite the opposite. Her eyes lit up with excitement and possibly a flash of fear, as well as wonder and amazement too.

"It can't be," she murmured quietly under her breath.

Guys, just to clarify, last nightmare was one of Rose's nightmares. Sorry if it isn't clear.