Chapter 15

Lilith

I am a raindrop that my parents emptied their pockets of and left to evaporate on a concrete slab.

She hears the noise of the front door being unlocked, and voices travel up to her from the room she's in.

She assumes that Lorenzo carried her here, and that this is a guest room in his house. It's plain, simple, yet still holds a homely feel to it. There are small touches that make it feel peaceful, safe; warm lamps, pillows, a throw placed on a desk chair.

She notices a note on the bedside table and picks it up, it's handwritten and simply states that Enzo left to get his sister. She hasn't met his sister yet; all she knows is that she's younger than he is. She wonders if she even knows she's here at all.

Lilith wants to bask in the warmth of the bed forever, but she feels so disgusting right now that she forces herself to get up. She notices a door to the left corner of the room, and when she opens it she sees a small ensuite. It already has basic necessities; a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner, body wash.

Lilith debates whether it's socially appropriate to take a shower in his house without asking, but the need to clean herself overrides any social instinct. She sees some spare towels on the radiator and chooses one that is large enough to comfortably cover her whole body.

She strips off her clothes and turns the shower on, it starts off freezing cold and even though only her hand is in the water it sends a shiver running down her spine. She waits for it to warm up a bit more before finally stepping in.

It relaxes her, taking showers. She can't remember the last time she'd had a warm shower, the one at home was almost always freezing; at best it would be room temperature.

She sighs into the steam that has already started clouding in the air, resting her head against the cool tile of the shower's wall. She wants to stay here forever, but she doesn't want to use all their hot water, so she quickly washes her hair with the shampoo. She puts the conditioner in and cleans her body whilst she lets it sit.

Finally, once all the tears and blood are cleaned off her, she squeezes the excess water out of her hair and steps out of the shower. She takes the towel and pats her body dry before wrapping it tightly around herself.

When she steps back into the bedroom relief floods through her as she notices the spare change of clothes on the bed. She doesn't know how she didn't notice them before, but she doesn't care except for the fact that she won't have to put her bloody clothes back on.

If she had the money to replace them then she would burn them in a heartbeat.

Lilith pulls on the joggers and the t-shirt, frowning at the fact that her bare arms were on display. She needs a jumper, something to cover her body. As much as she's shared with Enzo, and as much as she knows he won't purposefully judge her, she doesn't trust him not to do or say the wrong things. She knows he might not mean to, but if you haven't seen someone with scars like hers it's hard not to reel in disgust.

She folds the towel over her arms, covering the worst of her scars, and walks out of the safety of the bedroom.

She can't hear any voices anymore, but she can hear someone in the kitchen. She decides that's the best place to find Enzo and makes her way over to it.

She lets out a small sigh of relief when she sees him, his back is turned to her and he appears to be making tea again. She doesn't have tea very often; she prefers to drink coffee. She doesn't see the point in drinking tea, there's not enough caffeine for it to actually do anything useful.