Chapter 29

Lilith

It is better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you aren't.

It's on Lilith's fifth day at Nathan's house that she finally manages to move around a bit more alone. Before, she needed help even just to sit up straight, now she can move herself into the wheelchair beside her bed and slowly roll around the house.

The wheelchair feels excessive, considering there's nothing wrong with her legs, but it's her lungs that are the issue. From the broken ribs they ache every time she breathes more than absolutely necessary. The wheelchair stops her from having to breathe too much, too fast, and although it's somewhat humiliating, she appreciates it nonetheless.

The main pain about being bed ridden is the lack of independence, namely the fact that she can't do what she wants. Her cravings have gotten worse, and she knows she won't be able to find any hard-core drugs anywhere in this house, but a bit of alcohol could take the edge off. So that's exactly what Lilith sets out to do as soon as she lifts herself into her wheelchair.

It's late, around 10pm, but once she's in the kitchen she spies the cabinet that she knows has the alcohol in. Her room is on the bottom floor, close enough to the kitchen that she can hear most of what goes on, especially since her door is often left open. It wasn't long until she identified the area they stored the bottles in, and it was even less time that she figured out the best time to leave her room without being noticed. By 10pm she knows for sure whether Eve and Ben, Nathan's parents, are coming back from work or staying overtime. Nathan is generally pretty scarce after 8pm, either out running errands or in his own room.

When Lilith opens the cabinet she sees an array of alcohols, the average wines and beers towards the front, but towards the back she spots what she's after. Vodka and whiskey. The vodka is to get her drunk as quickly as possible, and the whiskey is just for the warmth it brings. She pours herself a generous glass of whiskey and decides to take the whole bottle of vodka with her to the living room.

Soon enough the warmth from the whiskey and the fuzziness from the vodka consumes her, leaving Lilith feeling much calmer than beforehand. She still feels restless though, so she takes a few more long chugs of the vodka before putting the bottle away. She's about halfway through her glass of whiskey, and in a rapidly increasing mood when the front door opens.

It's not long until she hears the quiet pad of feet coming towards her, and soon Nathan is walking through the archway. Upon seeing her, he simply raises and eyebrow and shakes his head in mock disappointment. That's the other thing she likes about Nathan, he doesn't treat her like a child. He treats her sort of like a friend, like a real friend. She can see the pity in his eyes at times, but it isn't all he sees when he looks at her. She knows he doesn't just see her as a broken doll for him to fix, he sees her as an equal.

"I was wondering when you were going to get into the cabinet. You know my mum and dad threatened to lock it because they expected this to happen. You should be grateful I convinced them you wouldn't be a problem; however, I'm now sincerely regretting it." Nathan smirks, grabbing his own glass and pouring a hefty amount of whiskey before taking a large sip.

"Just wanted to take the edge off, that's all." Her voice comes out muffled, and she knows it's slightly slurred, but she doesn't really care.

"Ah, me too. Mind if I sit for a bit?" He asks but sits on the armchair closest to Lilith before waiting for a reply.

"Bad day, huh?" She asks, genuinely curious. The skin below his eyes has a blue tint to it, and his hair is messier than normal.

"Eh, not bad exactly. Just feel a bit tired, that's all." Nathan explains half-heartedly.