Chapter 7

💞Crystal's POV💞

Another day at school and another day of watching new victims fall into the hands of Amber. The things she does, just make me want to walk up to her, slap her across the face, grab her, and yell in her ear to act like a normal human being. But doing that means that Luara and Nora would have to attend my funeral and I wouldn't get to be Laura's maid of honor. I quickly shook that thought out of my head and continued listening to Laura and Nora's conversation.

Soon the bell rang and we agreed to meet at the school cafeteria after our classes.

So far I haven't run into Ben and was relieved. The guy became an unwelcomed house guest in my dreams and the words he kept saying were like a never-ending loop. It was becoming unbearable, cause I just wanted to go to him, grab him by the shirt, and demand an explanation.

As I was still in my thoughts I didn't notice when I bumped into something hard. I was losing my balance but felt an arm around my waist, saving my ass from an unnecessary painful fall. I looked up to see Lucas, holding me.

I quickly regained balance, "Thanks for your help," I said, smiling.

"No problem," he said, giving me a reassuring smile

"By the way, what happened last night? After the huge rush I tried calling you but couldn't reach you" He said, turning to me.

Memories of last night replayed in my mind, and I shook my head, hoping to reset myself back into reality. "Are you okay?" Lucas asked, snapping me back to planet earth.

"Umm... Yeah, I'm fine. And no worries. After the rush, I just went out for some fresh air. My phone battery must have died when you tried to call." I said, feeling the disgust in my mouth for lying again.

"Oh, I see, well as long as you're fine," He said, smiling.

I returned his smile as we continued to head for our class. We had art class and roll call took place as usual. I heard my name and answered but soon my mind was taken off from what was going on and started to doodle on my art book.

"Ben Connor?!" The teacher's voice snapped me back into the present. I froze as I registered the name she just mentioned and quickly glanced at Ben leaning against the classroom door frame.

"This is a lovely surprise. And to what do we owe the attendance from you for the first time?" The art teacher asked.

Ben just rolled his eyes and went to take a seat in the back. I could see other girls, from the corner of my eyes, give Ben flirty looks. I silently wished for their survival and continued to doodle on my art book. Soon I started to feel someone boring hole at the back of my head.

I turned and saw that Ben was staring at me. I quickly faced forward and pretended not to even notice.

Time was going by very slowly and I wondered when I would ever be free from this torture. "Hey, are you alright?" Lucas whispered. "Yeah, no problem whatsoever" I bit my tongue and wished that lightning could strike me for all the lies I've told so far.

Soon the bell rang and I grabbed my stuff and walked(sprinted) outside. "Hey! wait up" Lucas called out. I stopped and saw him rushing after me "Whoops, sorry" I said. giving him an apologetic smile.

"Honestly, you've been acting weird lately. Are you 100% sure that everything is fine?"

"Of course I am. Now come on the girls are waiting for us." I said pushing him forward.

He giggled "Okay ma'am. I'm moving", raising his hand in surrender while walking forward."Good soldier" I said, laughing. As we kept walking I couldn't shake the feeling of an icy stare being sent my way but I didn't even bother looking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, guys. Have you all sent an application for a summer job?" Nora asked as she swallowed the bite from her sandwich.

"Application?" Laura asked.

"Yeah, Although our school is a prestige one, they also want us to have a working experience and of course, we also get paid," Nora said.

"That sounds like fun," Laura said.

"But how do you apply?" I asked, taking a sip from my smoothie

"Well, it's quite simple. There is a link on our school website. If you click it you will see that it will send you to another website where you can apply for summer jobs." Nora explained.

"I'm gonna work with Edward at the restaurant. You should join me, Laura" Nora said, nudging her on the arm and teasing her. Laura stuck her tongue out at her and tried to hide the blush on her cheeks. I giggled at her cuteness and continued to sip from my smoothie.

"Oh, yeah. Are you gonna work at your dad's company again, Lucas?" Nora asked and we all turned to him.

"Yeah, he's still quite adamant about me taking over," Lucas said while taking a sip from his soda.

"What type of work do you do?" I ask.

"Well, my dad lets me be the president of the company for the summer and leaves his personal assistant with me, while he takes his vacation. So I technically work like a businessman for the summer."

"That sounds quite interesting and fun, to be honest," I said

"What if you join me? I mean you can be my personal assistant and you would also get paid." He said, his eyes twinkling at the idea.

"Don't you already have an assistant?" I asked

"Yeah, but he mostly gives advice when I'm not sure how to do something. If you become my personal assistant it would be more fun and I could relax more knowing someone I'm close with is with me" He said, making me blush a little

"A beach wedding or a modern wedding?" Laura whispered in my ear and I gave her a little swift kick on the leg.

The bell soon rang and we had to go back again. Lucas and I waved Nora and Laura goodbye and went on our way. As were walking I was thinking about the job offer that Lucas gave and it didn't sound like a bad idea. I've always wanted to know how it felt like to work at a company and maybe this could be my chance. Besides I'd be working with a friend and I didn't honestly have any plans for the summer.

"Hey, Lucas. I accept your offer" I smiled putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Wait... Do you mean you will work with me?" Lucas turned to me with expectancy.

"Well, you don't need a translator. I wasn't speaking Italian" I said, trying to contain my laughter.

"YES!!!" Lucas exclaimed and hugged me.

"Thank you, thank you, thank y-"

"Alright, chill with the thank you's. I didn't raise someone from the dead" I giggled

"Oh, sorry" He laughed.

"I'll send the details to you later" He said beaming and I nodded giggling.

We managed to get to class on time and had our usual roll calls and surprisingly again, the devil himself(Ben) made his appearance leaving everyone in a confused trance as to why he was even in class, to begin with. I didn't pay any attention to it and decided to continue listening to my favorite subject, English.

"Alright, class. Today you guys will be working in a group of two and you will have an assignment." The teacher said.

"In this assignment, you will have to make a presentation about idiolects. I will grade the presentation and the teamwork that both of you put in. Furthermore, I will be the one who decides who gets paired up with who" The teacher said as the class groaned.

"First group: Crystal and Ben"

WHAT????!!!!! NO WAY JOSÉ.

I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID ABOUT ENGLISH BEING MY FAVORITE SUBJECT

Lucas and I looked at each other with shock and then I looked at Ben who was smirking to himself while using his phone. Does the universe have something against me? Why are they making us work together when I'm not mentally prepared for this?