Chapter 23

🌙Ben's POV🌙

Ever heard the saying "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer"?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about all the ride back to that hell hole that I used to call home. The only place I can ever call home is with Edward, Nora, and their parents. My parents... scratch that my parent was a sweet and kind woman until she passed by her corrupted, greedy cheating scum of a husband. So no need to explain how my... father and I aren't anywhere close to good terms. Hey! But like the saying says if I want to destroy the monster better make him believe I'm on his side.

The moment I reached hell's front door I made my way in. Oh... the joy of watching this place burn will be a sight that I will never forget. I get a text from him telling me to meet him in his office. I walk up the stairs and walk through the huge hallway to his office door. I opened the door without knocking, I couldn't care less about formalities. Before I could close the door completely I heard the clicking of a gun, then a shot and I duck down.

An annoying laugh rings in the dimly lit office, the stars and moon giving it its light "Nice to know, your reflexes are as fast as ever". "Oh c'mon babe just hurry up and get to the point so he can leave". I internally scoff, I forgot to mention that my sperm donor is a psychopath and that the lady who is straddling his lap and telling him to hurry up and send me out to do God only knows with her is his mistress a.k.a my mom's murder and supposed best friend.

Evan Connor is a billionaire and upstanding citizen by day but an underworld ruler by night. The marriage between him and my mother was arranged, but he was one great actor who should have joined the film industry. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he lied to her and told her he loved her while having an affair with my mother's best friend. How do I know this?

Well, at the tender age of eight, I was looking for my mom not knowing she had gone out. I just woke up from my nap, when I couldn't find her I went to their room only to find clothes on the floor, dad was on the bed with another woman sleeping together and naked. I tiptoed and saw her face, Livia, my mom's best friend. At that age confusion ran through me, I sobbed and had a  new feeling curse through me... hate. I ran out of there and locked my room door to hide myself. I never knew that they were celebrating.

"I hear that you're doing well in your training," the bastard says and I just silently nod hoping that he can get this over with. "You will be the head soon," He says and I internally groan and cringe at the same time. I know exactly where this is going, he reminds me every chance he gets without fail about how I'm supposed to take over his business after graduating high school. Little does he know I have a surprise for him by then.

"I hear that there's a girl," He says slowly, his eyes burrowing into me and the moment he says those words I tense but quickly put myself back at ease. The corners of his mouth tug up, magnifying the fact that the mistake I just made by being cut off guard had not gone unnoticed. He leans back on his seat "As long as you stay focused, you can mess around" he says with a smirk, and thank goodness my hands were behind me cause they were clenched into fists by his words and itching to give this man a well-deserved punch. I swallow the anger in my voice "Yes Father".

"Can he leave now?" the viper says pouting her plump bee-stung lips and my father smiles "Of course. Ben you may leave" he says waving me off. I nod and lock the door before they defile my eyes. I walked through the grand hallway, fury lacing my every step at the insinuation of that man's words and of how he thinks I want to mess with Crystal, back to a familiar room.

I open the door and step inside, the moment I lock the door I lean against it, a heavy sigh leaving my lips. The moonlight seemed to be enough to brighten the room. My fingers ran through the bookshelves containing fairy tales my mom always read to me before tucking me in to sleep.

I grabbed my favorite book as a kid, made my way to the bed, and sat. before I could get a good look at the book I noticed what seemed to be a blue lace agate crystal necklace taped to at the end of the page of the book... My mother's necklace.

Where once was written "and they lived happily ever after" was canceled out by a red pen and in its place was "and they were destroyed for their evil". I swallow the bile that formed in my throat. Carmen, my former nanny had written this, I could feel the anger, hate, and revenge oozing from those words. A contrast to the sweet, kind, and motherly middle age woman she was before shit hit the fan and she got fired all those years ago. Right now I don't blame her but I wondered why I hadn't seen it the times I was in this room, even if I'm hardly here.

I'm never in a place for too long. I can be at my cousin's, then this wretched place, and then my house that I managed to get. No one knows about my whereabouts, my cousins and their parents don't know, and especially my father. In this chaos, the house I got for myself is the only place I feel peace in, where I can let down my guard, which I hardly do these days but only around... Crystal.

The day I saw her again for the first time in years emotions hit me like a tidal wave, I smiled at the thought. She's so cute now and at the time when we were younger, I knew she couldn't remember me, of course, she wouldn't remember me after taking that hit on the head for me. Regret of not being able to protect her edged in my consciousness, I want to go back in time and reverse everything even though I know I can't.

Looking back at the crystal that I had removed and was now holding reminded me of her. She was my Joy and my motivation to bring down my father and his whore of a woman. I smile even more at the memory of her expressive face, she was never good at hiding her expressions and still isn't, the times I kissed her come to memory. That time at Nora's party was a dick move which I partially regret but did out of jealousy but when I saw her face on the Ferris wheel I never wanted to let go. I almost wished what those kids said was true about kissing when reaching the top. I want to be with her but can't not right now and not like this. Not until I bring down the people that hurt her and me and get revenge for my mother and Carmen.

I stare out the window and see the old tree I loved to climb but was always the reason I got lectures from mom about how I could fall and get hurt and a low chuckle vibrated in me as I reimagined that once young kid proclaiming himself the king of the elves when he reached the top of the tree then that kid that took comfort crying by that tree after coming back from the funeral. I swallowed the hard lump in my throat and looked away, I blinked the tears away. Now wasn't the time to let the emotions out and by this time I wanted to get out of this hell hole, I can't bear to stay here anymore. I grabbed the book and was about to put it back but thought otherwise, there could be more hidden messages in the book that I wasn't aware of.

I put the book in the truck, put on my helmet, and got on. I glanced back at where I thought I could once call home but then turned nightmare. It had already become a tradition that every time I looked at this building I'd gazed up at wherever heaven was and silently promise to burn down this place to ash and hopefully that woman still in it. When I drove off a sense of relief kind of washed over me as I got further and farther away and closer and closer to my sanctuary.