Chapter 28: The Snowmen Part Two

They run down the stairs, into the entrance hall with the children ahead with Kathy, the Doctor and Clara bringing up the rear.

Captain Latimer, having heard the commotion as well as footsteps coming down the stairs, enters the hall to get to the bottom of it. "Children, what is the expla—" he then notices the extra guests beside his governess, "who the devil are you? What are you doing in my house?" He splutters.

Uh...

Unfortunately, the Doctor has an answer, "It's okay. We are your governess' gentleman and lady friends, and we've just been upstairs having fun!"

Kathy stares at the Doctor wide eyed. Does he not know how that sounds?! She glances over at Clara who's blushing.

Thankfully Alice the maid interrupts. "Captain Latimer. In the garden, there's snowmen! And they're just growing out of nowhere, all by themselves. Look!" Alice runs to answer the front door.

She's confronted by Vastra and Jenny. The former smiles greetingly and says, "Good evening. I'm a Lizard Woman from the Dawn of Time, and this is my wife."

Kathy tries not to laugh as Alice runs back inside, screaming, and back into—

"This dwelling is under attack. Remain calm, human scum." Strax declares.

Alice screams and faints.

"Oh, dear." Kathy sighs as she walks down the stairs and looks over at the maid. Once seeing the woman is fine, she looks back at her friends. "You lot could have handled that a little more delicately you know."

"Not our fault some cannot handle excitement." Vastra says in humour as she and her wife step into the house, shutting the door behind them tightly.

Kathy rolls her eyes in humour but grins all the same.

"So, any questions?" The Doctor casually asks the shaken Captain Latimer.

The man ignores him and turns to Clara. "You have a gentleman and, uh, lady friends?"

The Doctor shrugs and turns to the situation at hand. "Vastra, what's happening?" He darts over to a window, looking out. Kathy smiles slightly at the sight of him getting back into the swing of it.

"The snow is highly localised, and on this occasion not naturally occurring." Vastra replies.

"It's coming out of that cab parked by the gates." Jenny adds.

"Sir, one pulver grenade would blow these snowmen to smithereens." Strax says.

Kathy groans, rubbing her forehead. "Strax, I've told you! They're already smithereens." She turns to the governess, gesturing to the Silurian, Sontaran and Human. "See, Clara? Our friends again."

"Clara? Who's Clara?" Captain Latimer questions doubtfully.

"Your current governess is in reality a former barmaid called Clara." The Doctor explains.

"That's the way to do it!" They all spin around to see the Ice Governess making its way to the top of the stairs.

"Meanwhile your previous governess is now a living ice sculpture impersonating Mister Punch." The Doctor continues. "Jenny, what have you got?"

Jenny acts fast, throwing a portable force field generator (a little ball-like device that glows red) onto the stairs. The force field comes up, trapping the Ice Governess on the stairs. Though this is only a temporary fix as the energy field can only last so long. "That should hold it."

"Sir, this room. One observational window on the line of attack and one defendable entrance." Strax tells them.

"Right, everyone in there. Now. Move it." The Doctor urges.