Chapter 34: The Vanquishers

A/N: Please leave comments on how you're enjoying this story and what you think.

——

They are sheltering from Sontaran weapons fire behind piles of junk. Williamson and Yaz are on one side while Dan, Jericho and Kathy are on the other.

"We're defenceless!" Williamson cries.

"We're never defenceless." Yaz retorts.

Kathy looks to see that Yaz is looking at a length of rope with a loop and a hook on the end that's sitting not too far from where Kathy is. They share a look, and a nod and Kathy throws the rope to Yaz who, in iconic, heroic Indiana Jones style, throws it and it hooks onto door nine marked 'DEATH! RAYS OF DEATH! NEVER OPEN!'

Risky but it might work.

"What are you doing?!" Williamson yells.

"She's trying to save us!" Kathy exclaims.

The rope tautens and Yaz pulls the rope, opening the door. Out of the door out of mist huge energy bolts that zap the Sontarans in their probic vents. They fall to the ground. Like skittles falling and then the door slams shut again.

Kathy sighs with relief. At least that's temporarily sorted.

They all stand, walking over to have a look.

"I thought we got rid of this lot," Dan complains.

"We need to be careful; they won't stay down for long," Kathy warns.

Suddenly, one of the far doors rattles causing them to all look over alarmed. There's banging and the sound of marching.

"There's more." Yaz comments.

"Follow me," Williamson says. He runs over to one side of the room in front of him and pauses for a second, glancing around.

"Did he not say some of these doors had changed?" Jericho whispers in concern to the others.

"Doesn't matter. We just need to get away from the Sontarans." Kathy replies. Hopefully, they won't end up somewhere terrible.

"Now which one?" Williamson murmurs to himself, very reassuring.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

"No time like the present." Dan cries frantically.

"This is the one! Come on!"

Williamson opens a door they all pile through to find themselves on a rocky cliff above a river of molten lava. Their sudden halt causes them to nearly fall over the ledge.

Spoke too soon.

"They've all changed!" Dan cries.

"Reverse!" Williamson cries.

They quickly pile out, back into the tunnels where they'd just been but Kathy quickly realises something's off. No bodies are lying around and the whole space is lit differently, fuller of stuff.

Williamson slams the door they've just come through.

"What happened to the potato heads?" Dan questions.

"Does it matter?" Kathy retorts. She wipes her forehead to get rid of the sweat that has quickly formed from being so close to lava.

"Oh, I'm getting very dizzy now," Jericho complains.

"It must be a shift in Time rather than space." Dan realises.

"I think you might be getting the hang of this." Yaz compliments.