Chapter 30: The Name of the Doctor

A young girl is twirling about in the woods, her hair wiping around her head as she enjoys the sounds of the leaves crunching under her feet and the animals of the forest, noises that'll be mostly lost one day.

A woman with a large stomach emerges from the small home in the distance. "Arantxa! Come here darling, everyone's waiting for you." She calls.

The girl stops twirling, turning to her mother revealing the fact that it's a younger Kathy Davis. Unknown to the woman, her daughter is more unusual than she realises. While she knows the man she had an affair with, the relationship that resulted in Arantxa, was not human, what she doesn't know is the older soul that inhabits her daughter's body. Arantxa has already lived a life as Kathy Davis before dying a few months after her 21st birthday and is going through having to grow up all over again.

But Wendelin doesn't know this. All she knows is the special box her lover had given to give to their child at the correct time. She had been swept off her feet when she met him, he was so lovely and caring but then he had to leave for his home across the stars and Wendelin had returned to her husband and three children pregnant. Her husband had taken her back and agreed to care for the baby, Arantxa, as if she were his own. It didn't take Wendelin long to realise this wasn't true. Derian always seems to treat his step/adopted daughter with great disdain compared to how he treats his eldest children.

Wendelin is brought out of her thoughts by her daughter running over to her. Her light brown hair is filled with leaves, her cheeks marked with dirt but that doesn't wipe away her beaming smile as she hands her mother a dandelion.

"For you Ma!"

"Thank you, my darling." She takes the weed and rubs Arantxa's cheek with her thumb, wiping away some of the dirt. Arantxa pulls a face, trying to wiggle away from her. Wendelin chuckles. She smiles softly, gazing at her daughter, momentarily forgetting about those waiting for them inside.

Arantxa frowns at her mother. "Ma? What wrong?"

Wendelin shakes her head, smiling. "Nothing, my darling." She strokes her head. "You're going to be doing great things one day."

——

1,363 years later

It's 1893 and Kathy is paying Jack a visit at his home near Cardiff when she receives her telegram.

Kathy is sitting at the table with Jack, catching up on how he's been when the doorbell rings. Jack leaves and returns, holding something.

"I believe this is for you." He remarks, handing her what looks like a letter.

Kathy takes it and recognises the handwriting as Vastra's. She quickly opens it to find the candle that'll induce the trance state she needs for the call. This isn't the first time they'd be having a conference call, but Kathy knows these are always urgent.

"Sorry Jack, we're going to have to cut this one short. I've got a conference to get to." She apologises.

——

Kathy wakes up to find herself sitting in a high back chair at a six-sided table. She looks over to see Vastra and Jenny already sitting there.

"Hello." Kathy greets the couple. Both give her warm smiles in greeting.

"Hello my dear." Vastra greets. "I hope we weren't interrupting."

Kathy shakes her head. "No, no. This is far more important."

"Tea?" Vastra gestures to the tea tray in front of her.

"Oh lovely." Jenny pours her a cup, handing it to her and Kathy takes a sip. "Mmm. Good blend."