Chapter 41: Captain Jack Harkness

A/N: My first full Torchwood episode! I've only done a few flashback scenes that they've shown of Jack's past but this is the first time Kathy's interacting with someone from Torchwood other than Jack. To try and save confusion, our Jack is simply referred to as Jack but the original one that Jack stole the identity from is Captain Jack.

——

20th January, 1941

Kathy is bouncing her knee up and down anxiously as she sits at the table in The Ritz dance hall, Cardiff, waiting for Tosh and Jack's arrival. She's pretty sure she's got the date right considering that the real Captain Jack Harkness is here, saying goodbye along with comrades before they head off to the mission which will kill the captain and her Jack (past him) will assume his name. Her current Jack is with Estelle Cole in London, the woman who's the old woman that appeared when Torchwood met the fairies and will then go on to be killed by them.

Around her, the dance hall is full. The windows are heavily curtained and the chandeliers are lit as it is night time. A four-piece band Buzzy Taylor's Band plays clarinet, piano, drums and double bass. The song is upbeat Air Express (Ken Mackintosh and his orchestra). There are seats and tables around the dance floor and people on a balcony up above. There is a banner hanging across the entrance that reads 'Kiss the Boys Goodbye' and a good few women obliging making the thirsty soldiers in uniform very happy.

"My love is true and just for you. I would do most anything at any time." The woman on stage sings.

Then there they are, future Jack with Tosh at the bar before George Bridgers (RAF, 24, boorish, thick-set, cheery with a regional accent) grabs Tosh and pulls her out onto the dance floor. Tosh looks incredibly uncomfortable and desperate to get away from him as he quickly twirls her around the dance floor, attracting startled looks from onlookers. They are dancing slightly messily on account of Tosh's inexperience and George's alcohol intake.

"Come to me, my melancholy baby."

Jack goes and taps George on the shoulder. "Do you mind?" Kathy hears him say as she approaches them.

"I'm only borrowing her, mate." George retorts.

"'Her' is standing right there." Kathy snaps as she pops up beside them.

"Kathy!" Tosh exclaims in surprise while Jack flashes an excited grin.

George scoffs. "Listen lady—"

"Hey, hey, the lady said no!" Jack interrupts.

"I didn't hear her."

"Maybe you need your ears unclogged then." Kathy quips back.

George steps forward aggressively causing Jack to quickly shove George back.

Jack turns back to Kathy and Tosh. "Come on, girls."

Kathy spots George rushing over. "Jack—"

George yanks Jack back around and throws a punch. Jack turns away but the blow still glances his chin. This results in a scuffle causing another, rather familiar, American RAF Captain to put a hand on George's shoulder. Kathy keeps back, knowing she doesn't need to be involved here.

"Cut it out, kiddo." He says.

George stops in his tracks, breathing hard. There is a hint of amusement in Captain Jack's eyes as he surveys the scene. He wears a Group Captain's uniform with a USA flash on his arm. He also wears a Distinguished Flying Cross medal.