Chapter 42: Demons of the Punjab Part One

A/N: A little snippet of 6x01 then we're jumping to 11x06!

——

A classic World War II escape is in progress. A light brunette woman lies squished against a fellow escapee as both of them lie on their stomachs. Both are rather filthy, covered in dirt and wearing worn clothing. They lie on a wooden board as they stare up towards the large hole above them. The woman stares up at the hole with less anxious features as the man holds. She actually appears rather bored as she leans her chin against the palm of her hand, looking at the hole as if waiting for the real fun to begin.

"Doctor?" The man, Simmons, calls up quietly to the hole. "Doctor, what can you see?"

The Eleventh Doctor's face suddenly pops down the hole at the top of the tunnel. He wears similar dirt and clothing as the rest of them. He smiles somewhat nervously.

"Is the Commandant's office painted a sort of green colour with a big flag on the wall?" He asks them. Lights and alarms appeared from above him. They can hear dogs beginning to bark.

"Does that answer your question?" The woman, Kathy, responds with a humorous tone, giving the Doctor a playful smirk.

"Yep. I think that's probably a 'yes'." The Doctor replies. He gives a quick grin before hurriedly disappearing again.

Kathy smirks cheekily. "And you're an idiot!" She calls out to him.

"And proud of it!" The Doctor cheers happily. They hear him laughing loudly as people shout above and gunfire rings out.

——

August 1947

"I am not saying I'm grateful you're here, helping out with the wedding..." Prem remarks as he and Kathy rumble along the empty dirt road in the cart which is being led by an Ox.

Kathy turns from where she had turned back to look at the flowers, checking they're still there, to the man next to her. "But? I can hear a 'but' coming!" She jokes, squinting at him through the sun's rays.

He side eyes her, a smirk dancing on his lips. "It's just, you said it yourself this isn't the safest of times and that it's only going to get worse."

"It's the British bit you're most concerned about, isn't it?" Kathy quips.

"Yes, maybe." He sighs. "Is your brother really okay with this?"

She purses her lips awkwardly. Kathy's brother, i.e. her son Carlyle though she often introduces him as the former to avoid questions, had almost too gleefully shooed her off when she announced her trip to India.

"He's fine." Kathy says shortly. "Anyway, it was my friends in America that insisted I take the time away."

"Ah, the ones with the baby?" Prem laughs. "Getting under their feet weren't you."

Kathy scoffs. "Please, Amy and Rory are thankful for my help with Anthony!"

She had been thrilled when the Ponds had announced their wish to adopt. God knows they deserve it as, no matter how strong their relationship is with River, they had never been able to raise their daughter (in the traditional sense anyway), they deserve it. River had been involved too, being with her parents to meet her baby brother. Kathy had tried to keep her distance, to let them have family time but all three had insisted that she is family. Suppose that's what happens when you go through a lot with someone, as Kathy imagines they will, and she's only seen some of it.

Prem laughs even more before he suddenly startles, yanking the Ox's reigns to divert it from hitting, what Kathy realises to be, the Thirteenth Doctor, Yaz, Graham and Ryan. She hadn't noticed them or sensed the Doctor through their mental link. However the latter may be due to the mental onslaught that the Doctor is currently experiencing.