2. Caelum

Caelum stood in the balcony looking over the vast city. He despised the human realm with its polluted atmosphere, overwhelming crowds, and repulsive odor. Nevertheless, he had to visit every few decades, so he always aimed to minimize his time there.

However, this time was different; he had more work to do. His primary objective was to ensure the functioning of all the packs in the human realm, as well as to visit his human company Indris.

The technological advancements of the humans could benefit the Valknaem Kingdom, and thus it was essential to keep an eye on the progress. Visiting the main packs themselves took a considerable amount of time, and the company had grown significantly. Even though most of the board members were lycans, Caelum had to sift through various proposals and decide which ones could be useful in their realm.

On top of everything, his wolf Nox seemed oddly agitated, probably due to the worsening pollution, which was even worse than it was sixty years ago. And this put him on the edge as well.

In the Valknaem realm, Caelum was known as Nox Caelum, which translates to "night sky." His power was so great that it was rumored to be on par with that of the moon goddess. Caelum's Lycan counterpart was named Nox, while his human name was simply Caelum. But he was known as Vincent in the human realm. He was the strongest Lycan in the realm, possessing unrivaled speed, strength, and powers beyond imagination.

Caelum stood at an imposing height of 6.5 feet, with a physique made of pure muscle. His mere presence commands attention and respect, exuding the aura and intellect of a natural-born leader. His blue eyes betrayed no emotion, adding to his enigmatic and menacing wheat-colored countenance. His jet-black hair only served to heighten his intimidating presence.

Caelum's last stop was New York, The United States of America, North America. After which he could return to Russia and portal back to Volknaem.

The human realm called the Lyudi realm, only has seven major packs, one in each of the continents. And North America was the last one. But this was also Indris's headquarters, so he would have to spend a month here at the very least. In the other continents he only spent a week.

Sighing Caelum went back into his penthouse. The air purifier made the house smell much better. He spent the rest of the afternoon looking through documents and proposals. He was astonished by some of them. The new technological innovations made by human's always exceeded creations by lycans.

This could be attributed to human's inability actually. As it took humans hours to travel a few hundred kilometers so they invented carriages, cycles, cars and then flights. But for powerful lycans it only took minutes to cover hundreds of kilometers. Lycans can mind-link hence they never needed telephones but television, computers and internet was useful. Hence they were used in Valknaem as well, though it was not as ubiquitous as in Lyudi realm. 

Furthermore the differences in cultures was very strong as well. Clothing for example, wolves preferred being naked, except for the nobles and who owned numerous clothes and styles, most of the general public only owned few pieces. This wasn't because of money, rather, lycan shifted regularly and clothes were bound to be destroyed and being clothed made them feel restricted. Only during recent decades that they wore clothes in public. But nudity was still common and accepted throughout the realm.

Another example was language, while humans have multiple languages, the wolves only use one. While the other species have their own, most species were fluent in Valken.

Other cultures differences like homophobia never existed in their land. Homosexuality was only recently accepted in Lyudi but in Valknaem wolves could choose whoever they wanted without any discrimination before meeting their mate. And mates could be of any gender.

According to legends, the Moon Goddess, Lucene choses mates. While unproven, it was unanimously believed so. A pair of fated lycan mates were most compatible, physically as well as emotionally. Their power and strength increased and their combat complements each other. Mates also found it impossible to resist each other and while some cases of rejection do exist it is very rare. They were nature's greatest gift after all.

A usual wolf would find a mate in their first century. Most wolves would find their mate around the time they mature and shift. And the shift depends on the power and bloodline of the wolf.

Caelum had shifted before he was ten. Very early even for a pure-blooded alpha king. While most young wolves found it very hard to control their wolf counterpart Caelum and Nox instantly bonded. They were in perfect sync since Caelum shift.

However Caelum wasn't blessed with a mate. He was way past his shift, his first century, his first bicentennial and quincentenary. Yet there was no sign of his mate.

This led Caelum and Nox to believe that they were born mate-less, which has never happened to any wolf before, or that she had died before they met her. But any wolf whose mate died before their first meeting will feel the loss.

It is often described as a heart wrenching experience. Every cell in the body would feel the loss of the mate. And some weaker wolves would loose their minds. Caelum has never felt that. So he was still somewhat hopeful in his first bicentennial. But now he firmly believed that he is mateless.

This situation has many consequences, a mateless wolf is often more irrational and dangerous. The stronger the wolf, the stronger the need for a mate. Yet the strongest wolf in Valknaem had no mate.

After looking at the documents for a few hours Caelum went to get dressed. As it was already sunrise, he planned to visit some of the near by establishments. Wolves only need five to six hours of sleep and Caelum needs even less. Even not sleeping a couple of days generally doesn't effect him at all.

After a quick shower and Caelum put on a black customized suit. And sent a mind link to Lyrus, Cane and Robert. Lyrus is his Beta, second in command, who followed him on the trip. Cane is the CEO of Indris. Robert is the Alpha of the North American Pack. He was going to facilitate the whole trip.

After meeting them in the living room and having breakfast they set off to the Lraken Pack. The Lraken pack is located in the outskirts of New York, while the wolves were spread out across North America, this is the captital for the wolves.

When Caelum reached the pack, Nox felt even more uncomfortable. So Caelum reached out asking what was wrong.

"I don't know", Nox replied gruffly, laced with a hint of uncertainty.

While Caelum's voice was deep and husky, Nox's was gruff and animalistic. Often laced with impatience and aggression.

"Do you sense danger?"

"No, only that it is important and it in the east", Nox actually wanted to run towards east. It was a very strong urge. As an Alpha he generally believed his instincts. So he said, "Let's go after the meeting is done."

Caelum agreed and commenced the meeting.

The meeting went on for a few hours and only in the afternoon did the wolves finish reporting the recent statistics and situation. There was still more to go but Caelum decided to leave. He would listen to them tomorrow.

So without even eating lunch Caelum, Lyrus and Robert left in Robert's car.