14. Caelum (Part - 2)

Caelum waited in silence, anticipation knotting his stomach as he watched Vivian's gaze linger on him. She remained silent, her expression a mix of clarity and subtle confusion, belying the turmoil within.

"I can prove it to you," he offered, his words a desperate attempt to bridge the gap between them. Without hesitation, he initiated the transformation, but halted midway, wary of overwhelming her with his full form.

Before Vivian's incredulous eyes, Caelum's features shifted, his canines elongating, fur sprouting across his skin, and his form elongating. Yet, as suddenly as it began, the transformation ceased, leaving him standing before her in his familiar guise once more.

"Damn", she said at last.

Caelum waited for to run away or hit him with the lamp on the bedside table but she did neither.

"Can you explain more?" She asked her voice soft with hesitation and doubt.

Caelum immediately brightened up, he was stunned that she agreed to listen to him. Reading all those human books made him think that she would definitely cry and run away.

He admitted that Nox was considering locking her up and talking her back Valknaem where she would not be able escape. But he would never actually do that. He didn't want to upset his mate. But if she really did not want to stay with him...

Caelum cleared his throat and tried to ignore his dark thoughts.

"Like I said, I am a Lycan. Although we look like wolves, we are different from them. We are much much bigger, we run faster, we heal quicker. We come from a parallel world called Valknaem. It has similar geographic conditions but it is in a different universe. Millenniums ago, we created a portal that could help us access this world, Lyudi also known as the human realm. Some wolves settled here and have learned to live among humans and established packs. The royalty in Vaelknaem agreed to it and even encouraged it at one point. Choosing second born Alpha sons to establish in Lyudi. Some packs and kingdoms even had alliances. The humans supplied them food and resources while the wolves protected them and helped them in wars. But due to various factors they later agreed to hide their identities and blended into the human society."

"The main pack, the Revral pack, is situated in Russia. That's also where the primary portal is situated, while smaller portals can be created in emergencies, only that portal is open all the time. There are seven packs, each in each continent. As for how we exist or how we were created, no one really knows. Just like humans, we have different theories. But most wolves believe in the Moon Goddess, Lucene. She is the only deity we worship and celebrate. She is the one, we believe grants us mates. Do you have any questions so far?"

Vivian stared at him for a few seconds before she asked, "Are you from here or Vael...?" She trailed off finding it hard to pronounce the word.

"I am from Vaelknaem," Caelim took her hand into his own.

"Then will you go back?" She asked.

Caelum instantly grinned. This question showed that she valued his stay in Lyudi. Which meant she was worried he would leave. That she cared more about this than about him being a different creature. Caelum was overjoyed.

"Not unless you go back with me." He said. It was also the first he showed his true thoughts in front of her as well as his intentions that he was not just 'dating' her.

"I don't want-"

Caelum cut her off. "Don't worry, we'll only go back when you are ready."

"Should I continue?"

Vivian nodded, a little more interested.

"Mates," he began, his voice resonating with reverence, "they embody the essence of a wolf's existence. They're not merely partners, but soul mates, chosen by the Moon Goddess herself to complete us. They're nature's greatest gift. Most wolves would find their mate around the time they mature and shift. This varies from pack to pack, bloodline to bloodline and individual to individual."

Vivian looked visibly uncomfortable. She tried to subtly take her hand back but Caelum held it even tighter and asked, "Who do you think is my mate?"

His deep blue eyes locked onto her clear brown eyes. He could see his reflection in them.

"I.."

"Are you scared of being my mate?"

"Are you sure it's me? What if it was a mistake?And yes, I am scared, but more than that, I'm scared of forever. We've only known each other for a few months. I don't know if I can take the burden of being your mat..." she trailed off, noticing his expression.

Caelum's heart broke. Though he understood her apprehension, as a wolf, it pained him to hear her consider him a burden. He felt breathless.

"Vivi, humans do not have mates, and they never get to experience how wonderful it is. But for us, mates are everything. They are cherished and adored in a way humans could never fathom. I would never hurt you, and I will always try to make you happy. I will never betray you. I will always be loyal to you. But more than anything, I can promise I will always love you."

"I know this might be too much at this moment, but please don't give up on me, on us. Just tell me what you want, and I'll get it for you. Just please think about it. Please."

Caelum had never felt his heart beat so hard as he waited for his mate to decide his fate. He didn't know what he would do if she chose not to be with him. He clenched his jaw, trying to ignore Nox.

"Let's just take her to Vaelknaem. We will shower her with so much love there that she will soon forget about her life here," said Nox.

"I didn't say I want to break up, I just... I am just very scared," Vivian said. Although she did not admit, listening to Vincent say there words, her heart skipped a beat and she felt as if she eat the sweetest chocolate in the world.

"I'll be with you through everything; you never have to be scared," he said, unable to stop himself from hugging her. The last few seconds were torture for him.

"Is your real name Vincent? Do you have another name?" Vivian asked randomly. She always felt that his name didn't suit him. Now, she felt even more strongly that this probably wasn't his name.

Surprised by her instinct, he replied, "It's Caelum Nox Ralken."

"Caelum, Caelum... hmm, it suits you," she giggled.