12. Calisus

"Good morning, your royal highness. It's time for your training," the page said gently, his voice barely a whisper.

Yet Calisus woke up immediately, with no drowsiness whatsoever, his eyes sharp as ever. Looking at the dark sky with barely any light, he got up nonchalantly. As if waking up at 4am everyday was no big deal. After if he did not sleep at 1am last night studying scriptures and history. Rather, he seemed excited for the day. He gently rose, trying his best not to disturb his mate.

The page trailed behind him as he refreshed himself and made his way to the arena, commencing his training session.

As Calisus stepped into the arena, the cool morning awakened his senses and instantly alerting his wolf, Stran. His footsteps echoed against the stone walls, mingling with the distant clang of teeth and claws and the rhythmic thud of combat training.

In the center of the arena, his mentor, Master Aleron, awaited him with a knowing smile. "Good morning, Your Royal Highness," he greeted warmly, his voice carrying a hint of anticipation. "Today, we will continue on honing your human form."

For hours, they sparred tirelessly, the sound of their bodies clashing echoing throughout the arena. Each strike, each parry, was a lesson in skill and precision. Sweat glistened on Calisus's brow as he pushed himself to his limits, driven by a thirst for mastery.

As the sun rose higher in the sky, casting golden rays over the arena, Master Aleron finally called a halt to their training session. "Well done, Calisus," he said omitting the title, his eyes twinkling with pride. "Your father would be proud of you."

The prince possessed a gaze as deep and enchanting as the azure sky on a clear summer day. His eyes, a captivating shade of cerulean blue, seemed to hold the secrets of the universe within their depths. Framed by dark lashes that lent a mysterious allure to his countenance, they sparkled with a subtle intensity, reflecting the light like precious sapphires. His eyes were the only features he inherited from his father. His hair was a lighter shade of brown, which he had inherited from his mother, along with the rest of his features.

With a grateful smile, Calisus bowed to his mentor, feeling a sense of accomplishment wash over him. He was not as strong as his father, neither was he as intelligent or strategic. Yet he was the first born, first in line to the throne. Although his father was still young, the responsibilities of the kingdom always demanded the prince to be the best. With the royal blood he was much stronger than most of his people, with only a select few surpassing him. But that wasn't enough, he did not need to be stronger than his people, he needed to be stronger than his enemies. His enemies that would take advantage of every weakness. He had to be stronger than them.

"The countess said she will be visiting, the princess consort has arranged the meal in dining hall," the page announced.

In the secluded confines of the private royal dining room, an aura of intimacy and exclusivity enveloped the space. Decorated with understated elegance, the room exuded sophistication and refinement. Soft candlelight flickered from golden sconces along the walls, casting a warm and inviting glow over the intimate setting. Erena spent a lot of time on this, thought Calisus proudly. His mate had redecorated the whole wing to her taste after moving.

A smaller, round table took center stage, draped with a rich velvet tablecloth embroidered with the royal crest. Delicate porcelain plates adorned with intricate gold trim and delicate floral patterns awaited each guest's arrival.

Plush, upholstered chairs surrounded the table, each meticulously positioned to afford every diner a view of the room's focal point: a grand tapestry depicting scenes of royal triumphs and ancestral glory. Two of the chairs seated two beautiful women. The two most important women of his life, his mate and his mother.

"Mother, it's been a long time. How was the journey to the Dunes?" He asked as he dropped a feather kiss on his mate's cheek and sat down beside her.

"I have some important news from some of my vassals," Laurenta said with no emotion in her green eyes, the only thing that gave away her annoyance was her clenched jaw. "Your father found his mate."

"Is this information certain?" Calisus asked with shock. His father has not found his mate for centuries. Everyone believed he was mateless, including himself.

"Kraus ordered some renovations in the King's quarters," Elena said.

Everyone paused for a moment, knowing what this meant. The king has not renovated in his quarters in centuries. He must have a reason to do it now.  No one spoke anymore, contemplating their uncertain future.