..:: Eight ::..

Laughter rang through the room, giggles and snorts bouncing off the walls. Michael leaned back in the chair with his feet upon the desk. He had been on the phone for nearly two hours with Sarah, and having the time of his life.

The young woman had him in fits of laughter and happiness. Something of which he had not experienced in years– decades even.

His eyes shut tight against another wave of laughter. Michael was in complete bliss. His heart was alive and free of all stress and negativity.

"Gosh, how is it that you're so funny?"

Sarah could be heard laughing herself over the speaker phone. "I don't know, it's just somehow natural when talking to you."

"Right?" Michael agreed. "Somehow we're on the same wavelength."

"Yeah," she sighed. "This isn't an interview, but I have been so curious about you since I was a little girl. Can you tell me about your creative process, Michael?"

Michael chuckled and nervously ran a hand through his tousled locks. "Where do I even start? Well, my beginnings are pretty humble. Mother recalls the time I was dancing along to the beat coming from the washing machine back in Gary."

"Aww, really?"

"Yeah! I kinda remember it. But not long after that," Michael snapped his fingers, "I was soon on the path I am now."

Sarah sighed. "That's incredible."

He chuckled once more, this time as a flush quickly spread across his features. "And to this day I'm never satisfied with my work. I feel I can always push the envelope to the max as I mentioned before."

"How do you manage to keep up that energy with such dedication, if I may ask?"

Michael stiffened slightly and swallowed hard. The air around him became still and silent. This was a difficult subject for him, and very triggering. A sigh passed his trembling lips as the air became more and more still. This put him totally on the spot.

"I-I… well, um," Michael stammered. 

"I'm sorry, that was totally uncalled for–"

"No, it's fine. Sometimes I just get shy."

"If I ask anything you don't like please tell me."

He forced a smile and sighed. "Don't worry, I can tell your curiosity holds no malice or hatred behind it, Sarah."

The air grew still once more, the only sounds coming from the pair were the careful breaths of one another. Both were now shy and timid, wondering how to approach each other next.

Images of his past begin to fill the deepest recesses of his mind. Michael winced and groaned slightly, leaning back further into the plush and leather desk chair.

"Are you ok?"

He couldn't respond, flashbacks had begun to race back into his mind at a rapid pace. Silent tears pricked at the back of Michael's eyes, a few forcing past his tightly closed lids. Shoulders trembling against the memories he shifted to lay his head upon trembling hands. 

"Michael?" Sarah's voice was now laced with worry. "I can let you go, if you need me to–"

"It's not that," Michael replied through a strained tone. "I'm just a little tired is all."

"Oh, then please go get some sleep."

"No, please," he pleaded. "Your voice is very comforting to me."

Sarah could somehow tell that Michael was hiding something, yet didn't push any further. 

The air became still and quiet, save for the pitter patter of rain falling along the window panes. It crested a serene yet mysterious tone for them, making it feel all the more real for Michael.

Oh, how he longed to be able to sit next to her with coffee or lunch, or possibly dinner. There was something so indescribable about this woman unlike any other he has ever met. He didn't want to come off as a creep, as the world has already labeled him as such.

After the incident with Lisa Marie, he found it difficult to move on and pursue the dating scene one last time. Michael was lonely, perhaps even the loneliest person on the planet.

"I'm not gonna beat around the bush, Sarah." Michael began. "I've had a pretty difficult life."

Her pained sigh could be heard on the other end. "I can only imagine, Michael."

He could hear a different type of kindness within her tone. Perhaps a hint of– sadness? Or maybe heartbreak? He didn't want to jump the gun and possibly scare the girl away. Clenching tight against the leather armrests, Michael allowed a tear to escape, thankful that Sarah couldn't see it.

"Yeah, maybe a story for another day." Michael's voice dropped to his normal speaking voice.

Sarah softly gasped, for never had she heard a tone other than what he used during interviews and performances. "Wow…"

Raising an eyebrow, Michael glared at the phone. "What?"

"Your voice–"

"It's weird to hear, right?"

"No," Sarah breathed. "It's incredibly sexy, I have to be honest."

A more sincere chuckle passed Michael's lips. "Gosh, no one has ever told me that. But then again I rarely let my voice go to its normal tone, due to protecting my singing voice."

"I can honestly see why. That's incredible how your tone can shift so quickly."

"It only gets better from here." Michael replied almost seductively. 

After a moment he realized how he must have sounded, quickly placing a hand over his mouth, shifting his tone back. "Oh, God. I'm so sorry!"

Sarah laughed, clearly caught off guard. But seemingly not offended. "It's OK, really."

Michael was mentally slapping himself for acting as weird, stupid even. A side of him of which he struggled to contain had nearly slipped. Truth be told, the provocative and sexual things he experienced as a young man left a mark that has yet to be erased.

And Michael silently began praying to God it would not scare her away from him.

"Well, um. I won't keep you up any longer. I'm sure you have work tomorrow."

"Actually, I'm off all weekend." Sarah replied.

Raising an eyebrow, Michael shifted to lean against the desk. "Oh, yeah? Have any plans?"

"Not really."

"Would you like to come to Neverland?"

The sound of the phone dropping could be heard from her end. "Wait, what?"

Michael laughed sincerely. "Would you like to come to Neverland?"

It quickly grew quiet between them, and this made Michael's heart beat erratically in anticipation, breath hitched in his throat. His body tingled and trembled. God, why did he ask such a farfetched and insanely stupid question?

After a long moment Sarah replied.

"I would love to."

The smile which formed on Michael's face could rival that of a thousand suns.

"Pick you up tomorrow morning? Say, 10:30?"

Sarah released the breath she had been holding. "Sure."

"Sounds great. I'll let you go for now. Sleep well, Sarah."

"You too, Michael."

All became quiet, save for Michael's heart as it continued to beat like a bird struggling to be free of its cage. This was too good to be real. How in actual hell did he pull this off? Especially after nearly screwing up.

"Wow." Was all he could manage.