..:: Thirty-Eight ::..

"You seem different, Mike."

"Well, I've got some wonderful inspiration that gives me an energy unlike I've ever felt in my life now."

"Care to enlighten me?"

Michael smiled with a chuckle. "One day, Frank. One day."

"Whatever it is, it looks good on you, man."

"That means a lot, thank you."

Frank flipped through the finished article in the sample issue of the latest Rolling Stone magazine. It had gained enough popularity within the circle of producers to have made the front cover in the coming weeks. It was a truly mind blowing moment. He was very proud and pleased to see a first time journalist cover such an album and with such talent and grace.

"I'm glad to see something so immensely positive for you, Mike. It truly warms my heart.  The girl has some serious talent, she's gonna go far."

Michael nodded, "I agree. She was wonderful to work with."

Raising an eyebrow, Frank met Michael's eyes with a grin. "You say that so confidently. I've never heard you speak that positively about a journalist."

"Well, when someone treats you in ways they would like to be treated, it changes the perspective by leaps and bounds."

"I suppose. But what is this idea for a magazine?"

"Yeah, to accompany the album, as a treat to the fans. Help bring them into the experience further. It's hard to explain just yet, it's in the baby stages as I tend to call it."

"Huh, well, if you have faith in it then so do I. Well see where it goes. Until then, any ideas for the tour?"

Michael rolled his eyes inwardly, straight to the point, as usual. Touring has taken such a toll on him over the years, and he was personally seeing about retiring after HIStory in hopes of settling down. In hopes of fully starting his life with Sarah. It was becoming more and more difficult hiding the fact about their relationship, and truth be told, he was wishing against all hope to someday show her off to the world, and yet still afraid.

With the way the media is, it made him backpedal and reevaluate revealing everything. The last thing he wanted was a media frenzy threatening their relationship and way of life together. He would never forgive himself should anyone harm her in any shape or form.

"Yeah, I guess you could say I have a few. Again, my inspiration has given me a lot of insight and ideas."

Frank nodded, "One day at a time. The release ain't until June of next year."

"I appreciate that, I really do."

"How long have I known you now, Michael? You are like a son to me."

Michael chuckled. "I best be going, I'll be in touch."

Their hands met in a firm handshake before Michael made his way to exit the building, the advance copy of Rolling Stone in his hand. He couldn't wait to tell Sarah the good news, knowing she would be over the moon her article made it to the world's biggest music coverage magazine the world has ever known.

It was now early December 1994, and it had been approximately three months since the initial meeting with Sarah. Michael couldn't deny himself the smile which tugged at the corners of his lips. Despite it all, Sarah had been so understanding, not once faltering against the negativity and stressors.

He sighed, glancing down at the cover of the magazine, fingertips traced her name. From the most humble of meetings to a relationship that continues to blossom in ways he would have never imagined. It warmed his heart looking back on it all, each moment replaying in the back of his mind.