..:: Twelve ::..

Rain continued to fall just outside the windows, softly pattering against the glass. A slight rumble of thunder rolled overhead. It was a scene taken straight from a movie, at least in Michael's eyes. The last time he was this close in conversation with a woman had been so long ago with Lisa Marie. 

In fact, she broke up with him right here in this room, sitting on this very bed.

He shut his eyes as images came flashing to the back of his mind.

Lisa had her back turned to him, the air thick with tension and heartbreak. Silent tears pricked the back of his eyes as he reached out to touch her shoulder. When she shrugged away from him, his entire world shattered and broke apart.

"What's wrong, Lisa?"

"It's over."

"Wait… what? I don't–"

"Michael, we're done!"

Eyes wide with heartbreak, Michael was at a loss for words. This had to be a nightmare of sorts, it just had to be.

The velvet box within his fingertips fell to the floor silently, bouncing along the carpet and coming to a stop at Lisa's feet. She didn't even blink an eye at it. Michael's heart shattered, his spirit totally and utterly broken. 

"Michael, I'm still married."

"What?"

"I can't do this anymore," Lisa turned to face him,  eyes completely void of emotion. "I'm pregnant, and I'm positive it's not yours."

Another blow below the belt, Michael visibly gasped and tears began to make their way down his cheeks. Not only had she dropped the relationship, Lisa was still married and expecting a child. A child she swore they had been trying to conceive together!

"Lisa… why?"

She shifted a bit, slowly moving to stand and walk towards the door. "I don't know. I honestly don't know."

Michael softly whimpered, kneeling to take the ring back into his hands. Slowly extending his hand, offering the ring to her, it was slapped out of his grasp, landing next to the bed with a dull clatter.

"I'm sorry, Michael."

"No you're not!" Michael shouted, eyes glazed over with pain and regret. "How could you do this to me, to us, after all we've been through?!"

Lisa remained still, slowly opening the door and walking away, Michael close behind. Their footfalls filled the air as he chased after her, but she was already out the door. He fell to his knees out in the rain, watching Lisa's retreating form as she sped off into the night.

Coming back to reality he is met with Sarah's concerned eyes.

"Michael, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," he replied almost angrily. "It's nothing."

Sarah sighed and shifted nervously at the sudden turn. It was heartbreaking to see such a shift of emotion with Michael, especially with his usual soft-spoken voice and caring heart. Something clearly happened in his past that affected him in the here and now.

Placing a hand over his, she shifted her eyes to meet his misty chocolate orbs. "Whatever it is, just know I am here."

"That's what they all said to me," Michael stood quickly and moved to the window. "They all promised me the world and then shattered it!"

She jumped, eyes wide with worry. 

The sudden turn of events was shocking, and heartbreaking.

Michael sighed, running a trembling hand through his tousled locks. "God, I am so sorry!"