Chapter 9: Catching a Train, the Soldier's Intervention

WARNING: This chapter is the debut of Stroheim in this story. For future reference, him and his soldiers will be referred to as 'Germans' or 'German Soldiers' just like in the anime. I just wanted to give a heads up beforehand.

Gyalzen POV

Catching a train by car? Sounded difficult, maybe even impossible. But at a time like this, we couldn't afford to have any doubts. It was either we continue to pursue or those other Pillar Men would get their hands on the stone. It should be obvious which option sounds more appealing.

I don't know exactly how long it took. I wasn't exactly the best when it came to keeping track of time. Not like I carried a watch on me at all. We'd driven almost none stop. Only stopping if it was completely necessary.

I'd mostly just stayed silent in my own thoughts. I'll admit, I feared the Pillar Men, what they may be capable of. I'd nearly died facing Esidisi, and while I would gladly do it again if necessary, I was anxious for when I would need to face one of his allies. It didn't help that along the way, Joseph reiterated that when Esidisi possessed Suzie Q he kept threatening vengeance against me or something.

My train of thought was finally broken when I heard the voice of Messina alerting Joseph "Hey JoJo, JoJo! JoJo wake up!" At that last one, he struck Joseph on the head to wake him up effectively. As his eyes opened he looked around, asking "Huh?" 

Caesar explained to him "JoJo, we've caught up." Messina added "They're in customs." Finally Lisa Lisa stated "It's less than an hour from the border to Saint Mortiz. I'm glad we caught up." I looked around saying "Shouldn't we be quick? Come nightfall, this looks like the perfect place for an ambush." 

Caesar nodded "Yeah, you might be right. Look sharp JoJo." There was the sound of a car horn, however we ignored it at first, Joseph responded "Listen, I'm just saving up my strength, that's all. Let's hurry up and get the stone. Then we need to plan for the fight with Wammu." Caesar closed his eyes, saying "Wait until we cross." 

It was now that we realized something, the car behind us had been honking its horn constantly throughout our exchange. Through the rear view mirror, we could see the car in question. Joseph turned to them and exclaimed "What the hell?! Knock it off! If you want to go on, just pass us!" I turned around and was about to glare at whoever it was however when I got a good look, my eyes widened.

GERMAN SOLDIERS! Two of them sat in the driver and passenger seats behind us. Joseph exclaimed "German soldiers?! What are they doing on the Swiss-Italian border?!" In the back seat of the car was the soldier I presumed to be in charge.

He let out a low chuckle before grasping the cane he held. What he said next made me raise an eyebrow in confusion "You're looking spry. My how you've grown Mr Joestar." I turned to Joseph and asked "You know him?"

Joseph however, seemed as confused as I was. "W-what did you say?!" The car proceeded to drive past us, Joseph called after them. "What was that? G-get back here! Who are you?! I don't know any German soldiers!"

Messina soon diverted our attention, "Look at the train!" It was entirely surrounded with more soldiers, they'd beaten us to it! But why? Did they know what we sought? Were they after it as well? These questions were answered when a soldier emerged from one of the train cars and called out "We found it Colonel!"

An envelope was held in his hand, upon closer inspection, Lisa Lisa pointed out "That crest! It's the package!" Joseph exclaimed "And we know what's inside!" We slowly drove forward, getting closer to the soldiers to have a better view.

The German Colonel tore the envelope open and as we expected, he revealed IT! The very stone from the picture Lisa Lisa had shown me. Caesar exclaimed "The Red Stone of Aja!" I muttered "So, that's it." Lisa Lisa exclaimed "Why do the Germans want it?!"