Chapter 18: The Power of the Ultimate Being

Gyalzen POV

The light was nearly blinding! I could barely make-out Kars' body convulsing and writhing. This was similar to what had happened to Straizo when he dawned the stone mask. However this was different, the light almost merged with Kars' light Mode giving off a rainbow of colours. I had no idea what he was becoming.

One thing was certain, it would be something unlike anything I'd faced before!

Stroheim stammered out "I-I didn't see him holding the mask. I didn't see him put the red stone in!" Speedwagon muttered "Dear God..." Joseph simply said "Kars..." I couldn't say anything, I felt fear, anger, hatred.

There was a sudden flash of brighter light as the mask broke away! The light disappeared and Kars collapsed onto his back. For a moment there was complete silence, no one moved. No one DARED to move! That was until Kars began to get up.

He almost floated onto his feet as the remains of the mask broke away from his face. The soldiers began to panic as Stroheim tried reassuring them "Stand your ground! German soldiers are not cowards!" He began muttering "The Ultimate Being? Madness! No creature could ever become perfect!"

I just watched in horror as Kars eyed us with a blank expression. The wounds from my Thunder Cross Split Attack were still present, emitting steam however, now though, he seemed entirely unphased by it. Stroheim seemed to have noticed this as well.

Pointing, he exclaimed "Look, his body is still smoking! The Hamon will ruin him! He'll melt where he stands! He might have put the red stone into the mask, but he's still utterly the same! And he'll die like that!"

He gave the order "Fire the UV Amplifier again! We'll end him for sure this time! Hurry it up!" One soldier responded "SIR!" And began preparing the large lamp-like weapon once again. Kars however didn't seem interested.

For a moment he just looked around, paying no attention to any of us. Upon following his gaze, it turned out his focus was on a squirrel feasting nearby. But why? I just eyed him warily, waiting for him to try something. 

What happened next only confused me further. He raised his hand and in an instant, it shifted, taking on the form of an IDENTICAL squirrel! Joseph exclaimed "W-what?! What the hell is that?!" 

The squirrel ran up Kars' arm, nuzzling against his face. Speedwagon stuttered "A-am I seeing things?! He turned his hand into a squirrel?!" The squirrel hopped off Kars shoulder and approached the one a short distance away.

What at first seemed like a wholesome sight took on a dark turn as Joseph exclaimed "Stay away from that squirrel!" Sure enough, the squirrel Kars had created ferociously killed the other and consumed it! 

In an instant, it let out an unnatural roar and rushed forward before attacking! Its first target was Stroheim! The squirrel dived into his stomach area and began violently consuming its way through the metal!

It chewed all the way through, emerging from Stroheim's back and going after another soldier who wasn't fortunate enough to have cybernetic insides. Joseph ordered "Quick get out of here! Run!" This caused both the German and Speedwagon Foundation soldiers to turn and retreat.

The squirrel returned to Kars' hand where it shifted, first it transformed into a flower and then to a large butterfly. Speedwagon exclaimed "Unbelievable! He can manipulate life at will!" As it reverted back into his normal hand, another light source entered the picture.

The sun began to rise over the horizon.

For a moment we felt relief, Kars would melt away just as any Vampire or Pillar Man would. The boy, Smokey cheered "Hooray! The sun is rising!" Sure enough, the remaining Vampires were reduced to ash in mere seconds. Speedwagon declared "The sunlight will take care of Kars! We're saved!"