Chapter 14: Lisa Lisa's Story, the Prelude to Battle

Gyalzen POV

There was no escape now, we had the stone, they had Lisa Lisa. We knew the location, so now it was just a matter of finally settling the score. It was finally time to put an end to this nightmare. Not that I thought it would be easy.

I knew nothing about Wamuu's fighting style, but he'd defeated Caesar, that spoke volumes considering Joseph now had to face him alone. As for Kars, I'd only received a brief demonstration of his abilities, but that demonstration was enough to make me fear him.

Upon retrieving the stone, we had found something of interest though, a series of photos. Most of them were of unknown people, I recognized Straizo as well as who I believed to be a younger Speedwagon. Joseph told me that the woman in the pictures was his Granny Erina.

I managed to draw the dots, one photo was identical to one I'd seen Straizo have. Dated May 22, 1889. The date corresponded with mere months after the battle against the Brando siblings fifty years ago. In Straizo's arms was a baby, I had my suspicions, though I couldn't be certain. Joseph hadn't made this connection yet however I kept quiet. 

It wasn't my place to tell him...

Timeskip...

With the stone in hand though, we made our way to the destination. Upon our arrival at the Skeleton's Heel, Joseph raised the stone up. As proof it wasn't a fake, Joseph lit a match and held it behind the stone.

I'd been told that when Lisa Lisa showed him the stone back on Air Supplena Island, she'd been able to fire a red beam from it. Sure enough, that's what happened here. The beam shot out into the nights sky. 

Both Kars and Wamuu leapt down off their pedestal, the former looked to the stone and stated "It's the real thing. We accept your bargain. We'll fight you one-on-one!" With the terms set, me and Joseph approached Lisa Lisa.

There was certainly an air of tension, did she know we'd seen the photos in her briefcase? Or was it just stress over our situation. Either way, we handed her the stone. However straight after this, Joseph also held out the book containing the photos. I'd not noticed that he'd taken it.

Lisa Lisa simply asked "You both saw the photos. That means you want to talk right?" She paused. "Actually, I had planned to talk to you." Joseph just asked "Who are you?" It was here Lisa Lisa told her story. I knew parts of it, just not the whole tale.

Fifty years ago, Erina Pendleton lost her husband Jonathan Joestar on the Atlantic Ocean. However on that same day, she also rescued a baby girl who's parents had been killed in the carnage. That child was none other than Lisa Lisa! 

This revelation caused Joseph to pause for a moment "H-hang on now! That was fifty years ago! If you were a baby fifty years ago..." I bluntly said "Then she's fifty years old yes! Why is that the part you choose to focus on?" "Wait, if you're fifty, that means... You're OLD!" Joseph blurted out as I facepalmed. 

It took him a moment to wrap his head around this, I knew Hamon could slow the aging process. I just tuned out the rest of his rant and instead focussed on Kars who turned and announced "Now, prepare the arena! Light the fires!"

In the centre of the huge colosseum, a brazier was lit. Lisa Lisa said "There's no time to talk now. But we do need to. My roots are connected to yours." This was aimed at Joseph which caused me to raise an eyebrow. What did she mean?

She explained "The mask killed my parents. Since Erina was pregnant when she rescued me, I was raised by Straizo. Straizo taught me about Hamon, Straizo gave me the red stone." Joseph stammered "So, Straizo is your foster father?!" 

She turned to me. "When you showed up in Venice and told me what happened, Gyalzen. I didn't want to believe you. But your tone, expression and body language made it clear you were being honest. That was why I agreed to train you. It is tragic that the fear of aging drove him to such madness."

Turning back to Joseph, she added "My feelings about you defeating him are complicated. But I feel it was destiny." She handed the book back with a blank expression. Joseph faltered again for a moment but finally, he took it. 

In that moment, the ground around us began to shake. Joseph exclaimed "What's that rumbling?!" The sound seemed to be coming from off in the distance, I squinted to try and get a better look as Kars stated "They're here. Now the battle can begin!" 

The Vampires all began cheering as the approaching entities drew closer, even bulldozing through some of them! It was now that the entities were revealed to be HORSES! VAMPIRE HORSES to be exact!

Joseph stammered "I-is that a dinosaur?! No, it's a horse!" The Vampire steering the horses called out "Lord Kars, Lord Wamuu, please move! They've gone berserk!" As the horses raced towards the Pillar Men.

The pair didn't react though, Wamuu simply stood to his feet with a blank expression. Before the horses came to an abrupt stop. Wamuu reached out and pet the horses, stating "What fine steeds."

Kars explained "We used masks to turn these horses into Vampires." Joseph asked "Vampire Horses?!" Kars stepped forward before turning to us and declaring "In this arena, JoJo will face Wamuu in an ancient-style chariot duel!"

Again, the crowd of Vampires let out a loud cheer, I stepped up next to Joseph and muttered so only he could hear. "Lucky you JoJo, I'd have loved to have had this chance." Joseph snapped back "Easy for you to say!" 

Turning back to Kars he clarified "A chariot duel?!" One of the Vampires explained "An ancient Roman death match. You'll ride through the arena as you fight! Lord Wamuu or JoJo? Who will fall or be beaten down while riding? Defeat means DEATH!" Another Vampire added "Those are the rules JoJo! These beasts have a hundred and fifty horsepower! Even Lord Wamuu can barely control them!"

Joseph snapped back "Hey! I'll fight you on any field! But Vampire horses are your minions right?!" Kars assured "Worry not, the reigns conduct Hamon. Wamuu will use his strength, you can use your Hamon to control them."

Joseph still wasn't sure. "Is that right? They look vicious." Lisa Lisa silently reached up and channelled Hamon through the reigns. True to Kars' word, the horse calmed. She stated "I see, a little Hamon does it."

The Vampires all began chanting. "WAMUU, WAMUU, WAMUU!" Over and over as the Pillar Man strutted over towards the chariot. Kars stated "Wamuu chose an ancient form for this battle. That means he's serious. He's not doing this for fun or making sport out of it."

Lisa Lisa instructed "Beat him JoJo! We have to win this! There are no draws!" In a swift motion, Joseph tossed both his hat and jacket aside, calling out "WAMUU!" This caught the Pillar Man's attention as Joseph approached, holding up the ring.

"I haven't taken the antidote yet! I promised Caesar I'd drink it after I kill you! That promise will give me power I have never seen before." He put the ring around his little finger before holding up Caesar's bandana!

As Wamuu stared him down, Joseph wrapped the bandana around his head. Quietly wishing "Fight alongside me Caesar." He leapt into the chariot and declared "I ride to battle!"

True enough, the final battle was about to begin...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter. Now we're definitely in the final stretch of the story, I really hope you like what's to come. I also hope you enjoyed this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.