Chapter 19, Epilogue: Joseph's 'Funeral', An Artefact Recovered...

Gyalzen POV

Neither Kars nor Joseph had returned. The outcome of the fight was left completely unknown, even as the Speedwagon Foundation came to extract us. I'd wanted to stay behind on the hope that Joseph would return! However after a while, I was forced to depart as well.

I managed to recover from my wounds, as had Lisa Lisa and even Messina who'd been injured severely by Wamuu. However even so, the fact that Joseph never returned weighed heavily on us all, especially Lisa Lisa. Now that I knew the truth about her, I noticed it more.

I travelled back to America where I was introduced to Joseph's grandmother Erina Joestar. We exchanged greetings, upon learning I was Straizo's student, she told me her story. About her husband Jonathan, the battle against Dio and Damian Brando. All stuff I already knew about, however hearing it from her. That was an experience in itself. I listened to every word. My admiration for the woman, what she'd been through. She'd earned my respect.

Image of Erina Joestar:

I'd stayed in America with Joseph's friends and family for several days as the preparations for the funeral were made

I'd stayed in America with Joseph's friends and family for several days as the preparations for the funeral were made. After which, I would return to Tibet and see if I could pass on the teaching of Hamon to others. The absence of Kars had indicated that Joseph must have defeated him somehow...

Timeskip, April 1939...

'Joseph Joestar

Born: 1920

Dead: 1939'.

That's what the simple tombstone read in the cemetery located a short distance from New York City. All of us were present, stood silently around the stone as the priest read out a prayer. I shed no tears, but it didn't mean I didn't feel sadness.

My parents, Straizo, Caesar and now Joseph. Every time I grew close with someone, they were gone. Despite only knowing him for a few weeks, Joseph was my friend. The fact that he was gone, just like everyone else. I was struggling to wrap my head around.

As we mourned, the sound of a car pulled up behind us. Most of the mourners left leaving only Erina, Lisa Lisa, Speedwagon, Smokey, Messina and myself. The first to approach the grave was Smokey.

Taking his hat off, he said "Goodbye JoJo. Now that I think of it, we only met six months ago. But I'll always remember you. Always." As he stepped back, I stepped forward as well. I had something I wished to say.

"JoJo. Where do I begin? I suppose, Smokey said most of it, we only knew each other for a few months. But you were one of the closest friends I've ever had. Thank you for tolerating me. I know now, wherever you are, that no Vampires will be getting in. Especially with you and Caesar there. Farewell my friend." Placing my hands together, I bowed. This time I couldn't stop the faint tears that fell.

We fell into silence once more before Speedwagon approached Erina, saying "Come Erina, you mustn't catch cold. Let's go home." She wiped her eyes before responding "Just a bit longer..." That's when a chuckle was heard and an all too familiar voice called "Guess who!"