This Will Only End In Scars And Tears

"You trust them too easily." I tell my husband, arms crossed. I watch as he digs around for wine glasses and a suitable bottle for our guests. At least, that's what he calls them: guests. I think of them more like trespassers, entering a place they are unwanted. Me and Alucard had been fine here on our own, things were delicate and with two bumbling humans they would push the glass ball of our lives off its shelf where it would shatter on the floor. "Humans are more cruel than you believe, and they only care for whatever whims pass through their air filled heads. They will turn on you in moments."

Alucard frowns, and I realize he likes them. Those humans, he enjoys their company. He offers the wine glasses for me to take, and reluctantly I take the cold glass from him. "You mistrust them only because they see information from me and not you." he says, and I feel the urge to throw one of the wine glasses at his head. I did not think I had married a fool, but perhaps I was wrong. The next words from his mouth make my eyes narrow. "You are jealous."

"Like you, of Belmont?" I scoff, throwing back petty barbs. It had been so long since we had argued over anything, even little things. We teased each other, but there was no malice in those words. Now we bared our words like swords, ready to do harm with them.

"Now you really have lost your mind." Alucard laughed, but the humor in it was lost.

"I am wary because I refuse to play the fool Alucard." I walk in front of him, refusing to allow him the pleasure of seeing the anger drawn over my features. The anger that he himself drew onto it with his words. "If you wish to act like a jester then I will not stop you, it is your own choice. I will be there to pull the knife from your back, but I will not so easily let them plunge one into mine.this whole affair will only end in scars and tears."

When I walk into the kitchen I see the travelers standing with their backs to the door. Stupid of them really, I could have easily killed them that way while their backs were turned, so open. They were looking at the dolls me and Alucard had made, and I felt a certain intrusiveness in their gaze. That was a part of my life, mine and Alucards, a secret part for nobody else but the two of us. Yet here they were, standing unashamed and peering into me as if I was made of glass. "Don't look at those." I snap, setting the glasses down harshly against the table. The glass made clinking noises as they bumped together, and they nearly shattered with the amount of force I put behind placing them down.

"Sumi." Alucard holds up the bottle of wine, asking her if she would like a glass. She nods, and Alucard says Taka's name. "I'm just getting used to saying others' names again." Alucard thinks over the syllables of their names as they roll off his tongue. I sat on the opposing side of the table, a silly act in its own right but I felt justified in it. I refused to say their names, they hung dry like sand in my mouth.

"How long have the two of you been here on your own?" Taka asks, peering over at me with big dark eyes. Deer eyes, I think to myself as I stare unashamed back. I search them for treachery, for malice or ill will. I find nothing but the eyes of prey, as he was made to be. His freckles suit him, and I wonder if I could count each one.

"Oh, years." Alucard answers, sipping at the glass of wine in his hand. "Or possibly a couple of months." The glass gets put down onto the table, and his attention shifts back to his guests. "So, you've seen the parlous condition of my new home."

"It wasn't what we expected." Sumi admits.

"Well, there was a small battle." Alucard tells them. My own wine glass sits untouched in front of me, and I reach out for it. I will not drink it, I do not drink in bitter company, so instead I gently tilt the glass, rolling my wrist and watching the liquid move. I see how close to the edge it can get before a drop spills onto the table, seeping into the wood.