9

The five of us were now standing by our lockers after an hour long lesson about Robbin Hood that made my ears her and my brain sleepy. 

"Those kids are trouble." I hear some snobby voice mutter near by and turn to find Ben, Alex, Audrey and one other person. I give a small wave to Alex before I finish organizing my books into my locker. I had decorated the bright blue locker with sponged on gold paint the lined the edges, blending into the middle. The center of the gold was a silhouette of my mother dressed in an emerald green gown holding an enchanted rose that looked like it was glowing. 

"Come on, Chad. Give them a chance." I hear Ben respond before Alex joins in to our defence. "You haven't even tried getting to know them. From what I can tell they have it rough on the isle. You shouldn't be s quick to judge." I find myself smiling at Alex' words before straightening out my features. 

"Oh. No offense, Bennybear, but you're just too trusting. Look, I know your mom fell in love with a big nasty beast who turned out to be a prince. But with my mom, the evil fairy was just the evil fairy. That girl's mother. And Alex can you really be okay with having the daughter of the lady who spelled your father walk around school so freely." Audrey's annoying voice reaches my ears and I hold back a growl 

"I think you're wrong about them. I'll see you later." Ben says before walking past me to Mal. "I know your wrong about them. The sins of the parents are not the sins of the child." Alex says before leaving the two stunned and standing by me "Hey"

"Hey." I sigh out but smile when I see him admiring my locker door. I move it slightly so he could see it better. "This is really good. have you thought about joining art class?"

"Not really, I don't think I would really have the time between school, friends and royal duties. Plus I don't want it to start feeling like a chore." I close my locker fully and wave to Jane as she walks past. "understandable. Maybe we can draw together some time. I know a spot in the forest with a butterfly meadow."

"That would be amazing. I've never seen butterflies in person before. There one of the few creatures that don't survive in the Underworld and the Isle really only has dogs and rats." I give and overexaggerated shiver and he smiles but I could see the slight sadness in his eyes.

"Great, it's a date then. I - I mean, that's if you want it to be. It doesn't have to be if your not comfortable with that." I chuckle as the words seem to tumble from his lips faster with each second as his cheeks and the tips of his ears become pink. "It's a date. I'm free this weekend. you decide the day and time." I say when he finally stops talking and he freezes in surprise before a large smile takes over and I walk away.

I enter the bathroom to find Mal talking to Jane. This can't be good. 

"I'd rather be pretty. You've got great hair." Jane says just as I enter and I pull myself up on to the counter.

"You know what? I have just the thing for that. It's right... Ah, here. Beware, forswear, replace the old with brand new hair." Mal reads from her spell book before moving her finger up and down before side to side drawing a cross in the air.

Janes head move with the movement and I watch as he black bob lightens and lengthen into long rich brown waves. Her bow moving to the side. She looks at herself in awe.

"Wow! You almost don't notice your... Other features anymore." Mal says in fake kindness and I roll my eyes. " You look beautiful Jane." I say but Jane doesn't seem to hear me, to distracted by her own thoughts.

"Do my nose!" Jane exclaimed excitedly as she taps the book repeatedly.

"Oh, I can't. I've been practicing, but you know, I can't do really big magic. Not like your mom with her wand. I mean, one swoosh from that thing and you could probably have whatever features you wanted." Mal says tucking her spell book out of sight behind her back.

"She doesn't use the wand anymore. She believes the real magic is in the books. And not the spell books, regular books with history and stuff." Jane tells us sadly but I was quick to comment, in an attempt to cheer her up. 

"She's not entirely wrong. There can be a lot of magic sealed between pages if you know where to look." I tell her thinking about some of the books in the Underworld, that if opened, would have light swirl out of them showing the contents in glowing figures.

"You know, she used magic on Cinderella, who wasn't even her real daughter. Doesn't she love you?" Mal says and I just about hit her watching janes eyes dull as the begging of tears set in.

"Well, of course she does. It's... It's just, you know, tough love. "Work on the inside, not the outside." You know, that sort of thing." the brunette now looks like a kicked puppy and honestly reminded me of Cerberus when she was trying to get what she wanted.

"That's the face! Yeah, and then just look as If your... your heart is about to break. Oh, mother, I just don't understand why you can't make me beautiful, too." Mal says in a sad, teary way even adding in a few voice cracks. I jump down from the sinks and mis some of my makeup.

"Think it would work?"

"Yeah. I mean, that's what old Cindy did, right? And your mother Bibbidi-bobbidi-booed the living daylights out of her. And, hey, If your mom does decide to, you know, break out the old wand, invite me."

"If I can convince mom, you're so there." Jane announces happily, before looking at her reflection once more.

"Yay." Mal fake claps. Honestly I don't think she could come across any faker right about now. "Jane, do you mind coming to my room later. I want to show you something." I ask politely and she smiles, feeling more relaxed than earlier. "Sure, before dinner okay?"

"Yes. It won't take long I swear."

"Bye." She says before walking out giving a cute little wave over her shoulder.

"Bye."

"You really think your plan is going to work?" I ask Mal once the door closes.

"I hope so." She announces before striding out, the smile she wore for Janes benefit slipping away in an instant. I sigh loudly before using the bathroom.