20: VENICE

RAIN

I sat on the driver's seat, not being able to leave the prison parking lot. I could feel my head start to hurt while processing everything that I just found out.

According to Bryan, the night before he left the country, a man called him saying that he had to leave if he didn't want his illegal dealings be exposed. He didn't mind it at first since it might've been from one of his competitors, someone from another gang as he said. The next morning, the police received a package with evidences against him and he was immediately taken in. While under custody, a man came to visit him who introduced himself as Phayu. He then made a deal that if I were to visit him, he would help Bryan get out. However, as if Phayu already saw it coming, I never visited Bryan since I never knew where he was in the first place.

I'm beginning to worry about everything that's happening. I don't want to overthink but I can't help but feel that Phayu's more involved in my life than I already know of.

Grabbing my phone, I searched for Christian's number, my second boyfriend after Bryan. We broke up because of his family's religion and I know it's too much to think that Phayu's involved in it but I have to make sure.

"Hello?" Christian greeted after a few rings and I noticed how deep his voice had become.

"Christian? Is that you?" I asked to make sure.

"Yes, speaking." he said, he probably erased my number after we broke up since he doesn't seem to recognize my number.

"It's me, Rain." I said as I heard him gasp a little.

"R-Rain, hey. How have you been?" He asked.

"I'm fine, better actually. Uhm, I just called to ask you something. Before we broke up... do you remember something weird?" I asked and he went quiet.

"Weird? Like...?" he asked, he's probably confused.

"Weird like... a guy approaching you or someone telling you to leave me?" I asked, not caring if I sound delusional.

"Well... I'm not sure. It's been years since so I really can't remember much." He said making me sigh, what did I even expect?

"Really... okay then." I said, thinking of a way to politely end the call.

"Right, wait, I think I remember something. I was sure I kept our relationship from my parents but they somehow found it out. After we broke up, I found out that some guy called telling them about our relationship." He said making me stop.

"D-did he say his name?" I asked, hoping what I'm thinking was wrong.

"No, not really. It was an anonymous caller. I would've confronted him if I knew who it was."

..

After having a talk with Christian, I contacted Allan and asked him to meet up. Turns out that Allan and Darryl, his then boy-best friend whom confessed to him, are now running a restaurant.

"Rain! Come in, come in." Allan greeted me with a smile as I walked in and I immediately saw Darryl at the counter whom smiled back at me.

I sat on the table by the window as Allan got me a drink before sitting on the chair in front of me.

"You still look good, Rain. How've you been? I heard you got promoted recently." He said making me smile, oh if he only knew what's been going on.

"Yeah, the bank had no choice since I was gonna sue them." I joked making him snicker, it's not like I can tell him that I resigned because I had my heart broken by some mafia boss.

"You and your sense of humor, you haven't changed Rain." he said making me smile.

With a few catching up, I found out that they're planning to leave the country soon to get married. Seems like I just made it in time to ask how they really started dating.