15. Money makes the world go round

Shaking his head, Roman wished Harley could tone down her own bickering. Her redundant questioning raised his blood count as he couldn't control his temper any longer. He massaged his temples and tried to think of pleasant thoughts to keep his blood pressure down.

Roman used to talk to a therapist about his anger problems and that was where he learned to use this technique. But once the doctor left to become a criminal psychologist in Quantico (the headquarters of the FBI), Roman decided not to see a shrink again.

It shocked Roman once he learned that he told a government official about his deepest secrets. He was a bit weary about what he did, but even if Roman was told that all the personal information he gave would stay confidential, Roman knew that wasn't a guarantee. He didn't trust the gentleman with the genuine smile.

There's always something about quirky gestures.

It made Roman uncomfortable because he hid more information from what his own family knew about him. Thus, he prayed that it wouldn't never reach the tabloids.

That is why his face went stoned once Harley questioned him. And remembering the unfaithful day when he was caught in the casino made Roman feel worse.

What's so wrong about going to a casino was what he'd often ask.

Money, money was what made the world go round. That's what it's all about. A need for greed was the answer!

Roman was guilty of using it as one of his extracurricular activities . Before he and his father left New York for a quaint place in Rhode Island, he had wealthy friends who would gossip about their own luxurious lives. Roman wanted that, but after his mother died, her affluent family disinherited Roman and his father, for their daughter's marriage to Mr. Grendal was a fraud in their eyes. His relatives believed that the only reason their daughter married Roman's father was because he impregnated her during their studies in the university. Not wanting to have her parents learn about their illegitimate child, Roman's mother, Rebecca Cargill did the unthinkable and eloped with Roman's father, Richard. But their secret was soon discovered by an outsider, a Mr.Fitzgerald who was a friend of Rebecca's family. Thus, the Cargill family were dismayed to find out their only daughter took part in such an affair. But despite their hatred of how things were handled, Roman's grandparents took him in; that is until Rebecca died due to cancer.

Sadly, Roman and his father had to leave all they had behind, for they had to move out of state as Mr. Grendel found a new job to support himself and his son.

At first, Rhode Island was a new place for Roman to get used to, but he often missed the city life with his friends. Thus, when he was of age, Roman learned how to drive and inherited his father's truck. Thus, he'd secretly drive to the nearby states to find entertainment.

However, he promised himself that he could handle his gambling habits. Roman assured himself that he wouldn't be like Harley's father either.

Mr. Hal Steiner was an alcoholic and gambler that took things too far. Mr. Steiner was also jailed once someone inside the casino ratted him out to the authorities. Thus, Harley's mother, Aubrey, had to deal with numerous legal troubles her ex-husband left her behind. But with Richard Grendel's help, Aubrey was able to pay back the expenses and get back on her feet again. Therefore,  it was a blessing in disguise that the Grendels moved to their new home at the right time. And once the two adults fell in love and secretly wed in Las Vegas, that's when a young Roman and Harley  found themselves related. Gradually they learned how to accept each other as brother and sister, but it wasn't easy since both grew up as an only child. 

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Beep!

Beep!

The constant sounds irritated Roman, that he was about to let the rage building inside of him out, but as his face went pale, Harley noticed her step-brother's panic attacks.