32. Wishes

As the warden left the room leaving Roman alone with his siblings, the bitterness that was held within the Grendel clan for Henrietta and her new family had been unleashed. It was time to make things better by releasing any negative feelings harbored from the past.

Family always comes first before anything else.

Deep down Roman knew he had to make amends with his half brother, after he found out that his mother had died. After she endured a stroke and a heart attack a year before, Henrietta could no longer hang on and left both Ronnie and her husband on her deathbed.

Roman's heart suddenly sank. He only followed what his father, Ryan, taught him to do. At an early age, Ryan Grendal was the only parent Roman ever knew, so he always believed his father was always correct.

Yet, Roman knew he couldn't despise someone who clearly gave him life, forever. But now since he never got to say a proper goodbye to his birth mom, Roman felt that his world just crashed. Feeling queasy inside, he knew that Ronnie was the only blood related relative he had left, so he shouldn't continue carrying the heavy burden any longer.

Putting his arms around his brother, Roman smiled.

"Ronnie, as I'm a complicated man, I am sorry that I treated you like a stranger earlier. Harley is correct. I should let bygones be bygones. Your mother, my birth mother, left me when I was a toddler. I needed time to get over that. She never contacted me throughout my childhood, so I thought she didn't want me."

With tears in his eyes Roman paused as he wiped them away with his arm.

"I didn't even know that she remarried again and had you. And I am thankful that I got to meet you before I go."

Ronnie returned the embrace his brother gave him. He tried to ask where he would be going, but was interrupted by Harley's gesture.

As Harley didn't want to be left out in this heart-warming get together, she groaned.

Ahem!

She patted Roman's shoulder.

"Aren't you going to introduce me?" She whispered in his ear.

Roman grinned and turned around to bring his sister inside the brotherly huddle.

Bringing Harley inside, Roman introduced her to his brother.

"Ronnie, this is my stepsister, Harley. My dad married her mom a few years ago, and even though we do not share the same blood line, we still treat each other like normal siblings no matter what, right sis?"

Harley nodded. "Yup! And Ronnie, now if you can accept me as a sibling too, I can be the sister you never had!"

"Of course, Harley. I've always wanted many siblings to play with. Oh, I wish I had been able to meet you both earlier, but my mother only told me about Roman last year. Now it may be too late!"

Ronnie was enthusiastic to learn about the two, but knew that their time together was almost up as the digital clock on the wall showed that they only had five minutes left.

Tapping his foot as that was one of Ronnie's mannerisms, he began to panic.

"Where are you guys going after this? We've only just met! I'm a lawyer; I just graduated and just passed the board! I can be of help by representing you both!" Folding his hands in prayer, he hoped that his siblings would oblige.

Sadly, that would not be the case as Roman shook his head.

"Thanks bro, but I'm afraid things are not looking up for us. Some space agency is sending us off to space. I don't know why they picked me, Harley and three other friends of ours as their choices, but we're supposed to sign the contracts soon! I wish we had more time!"

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

With the spaceship Purple Hawk traveling halfway through the Milky Way, Xabiere woke up from his nap.

He stretched his legs and raised his stubby arms to keep them intact.

Massaging his temples, Xabiere stood up; surprised that Purple Hawk's autopilot controls had taken them as far as Jupiter, his eyes widened.

Outside the window, a tapestry of colorful cloud bands and spots, along with several rings around the pale yellowish planet delighted him. He wanted to wave to it, as he knew Fritz's enemy lived there. It was a treat for Xabiere to meet someone who despised Pluto's leader as he planned to make amends. However, that was wishful thinking because he remembered how Murdock was also flying with him. Xabiere knew that Murdock was such a blabbermouth, so he decided not to make another stop over.

Yet, his thoughts were soon interrupted by a friendly voice.

"Xabiere, I thought I heard the magic words in my antenna."

Playing with his alien wires above his head, Murdock received Roman's message about wishing for more time.

Trying to comprehend what his partner in crime mentioned, Xabiere scratched his head.

"What? That must be wild interference. You and your crazy games!"

Insulted, Murdock stuck out his tongue.

"No, I'm not lying Xabiere. The earthling I was in earlier said, "I wish we had more time. I must have left some sensors in his body.".

"How could you, Murdock? That's ridiculous!"

Trying to calm down, Xabiere quietly counted his phalanges.

"Well, what do you want us to do? If you noticed, we're not exactly genies, Dock. We can't grant wishes. Plus we're a million miles from Earth, so how are you gonna reach him?"

Murdock winced.

"If you only believe, Xab! I thought you had a warm heart, what happened? Is it because of me? I didn't mean to intrude!

Sighing, Xabiere walked towards his friend and patted his head.

"I don't mean to be rude. I just don't understand how you make things so unjaded! Everything around you turns out so wacky. What am I going to do with you?"

Murdock beamed with delight.

"So, do you still love me?"

Xabiere nodded. "Of course!"

After they did their friendly handshake of joy, Xabiere asked Murdock the burning question again.

"I think if I'm correct, I'm going to contact my sensors in his body and grant him his wish."

Xabiere smiled, but knew that what his friend believed was only wishful thinking.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Before closing the see thru room, the Warden answered Martina's question.

"And what would you like to ask me, Miss Wade?" Smith raised his bushy eyebrows.

Martina chose her words carefully since she knew that the warden knew about her cynical attitude.

"Why did you want us to meet our families? You know how they hate us. And why out of all the prisoners here, did you pick us for the space experiment? Somethings gotta give." Martina folded her arms to remind herself to calm down

The warden snickered.

"You got me there, Miss Wade. It would be best to answer all of your questions when your other two acquaintances arrive. But since you three all are impatient, I shall say that in case all five of you don't come back, the members of your family or guardians have signed an agreement to take any inheritance you might have."

Shocked, Martina, and Bonnie's faces grew red. Clyde remained silent as he didn't own anything, so he believed that rule wouldn't apply to him.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A couple minutes later, the warden came inside the room where Ronnie reunited with his newfound siblings.Smith suddenly felt warmness in his heart as if someone above wanted him to spare the siblings some time.

However, Smith knew he had a deadline to reach, so he couldn't stall. Everything was supposed to be in order and if the order of events changed, his contract with the SPANA headquarters would be doomed.