20. Innocence is Bliss

Now wearing hoodies and leather pants like the well- known gang - the Hellcats, who have been known to cause mischief around town; the quad were framed for this ordeal.

Earlier, many of the townspeople have reported crimes to the police that they have seen a group of scoundrels associated with the hooded sweatshirt wandering around; thus, that was how the quad were mistakenly convicted.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dangling her feet, Marti fidgeted in her seat. Her eyes were focused toward the front window, as she crossed her arms around her chest and released a deep breath she didn't know she was holding. Sitting in the back of a stuffy patrol car between her girlfriend and acquaintance, Marti pouted.

Marti did not expect her day to turn out to be a complete disaster. It wasn't her fault that Roman's truck ran out of gas earlier or that she made the quick decision to bring in a couple on a crime spree with them. Those impatient drivers would continuously honk their horns if she didn't do anything.

Martina felt the crew was dependent on her.

If she didn't act upon resolving those issues, who would?

Martina's only fault was to trust complete strangers, who would become part of her life.

Instead of riding with the cops in order to be interrogated downtown, Martina believed that if she could have waited another day to move away, she would remain safe and sound in Frankie's condo. Now she expected that these unfortunate events might lead to a downfall in her life.

Closing her eyes for a bit, Martina tried to think of happy thoughts to pass the time away. Turning towards her seatmate, she noticed how Bonnie leaned more on the car door as if she could open it and escape.

Earlier, the police explained to her that Bonnie was one of the most wanted thieves of Zigzag, OR. And that was when Martina learned that she was taken as a fool. A joker just like those found in a deck of cards. A lower classman that didn't fit in a noble family.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"Do you know something we don't, Bonnie? You've been quiet over there. What's got into you?" Martina asked.

Bonnie's scarred cheeks reddened as she was quite embarrassed. She knew she was caught in the act. Earlier she whispered to Clyde to take care of Roman for she wanted to rob him and his family. But as Clyde was rather clumsy he dropped the gun she gave him accidentally. It went off by itself alarming the security guard and cashier.

Whispering in the faintest voice possible, and believing she wouldn't be heard by the police recorders, Bonnie tried to keep a straight face, but the tears wouldn't go away.

"I'm fine, Marti. I'll disclose everything once we get to the station. Right now, please just let me be. All I can say is that I'm only human and am born to make mistakes."

Bonnie did not look her in the eye, as she mumbled those words, making it harder for her to keep her tears from falling.

Martina wanted to hug her, but Bonnie refused. Instead she looked away and crossed her arms.

With that gesture, Martina knew that the guilt struck a nerve in Bonnie's veins, since she held back from talking about her problems. She didn't have to say the words; Martina could tell from Bonnie's body language that she was a nervous wreck.

Bonnie must know how I feel ... alone and afraid. It looks like she had everything, including a boyfriend. Why did she throw it all away? But then again I don't know the whole backstory about her life, so I'm not one to judge her.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bonnie's brows furrowed, as she worried about being incarcerated. It was her worst fear being behind bars as watching a segment on television proved it to be hectic.

When she still lived with her parents, Bonnie remembered watching a documentary of a man who was sentenced to death when he was 20 years old after he accidentally murdered a convenience store clerk in a robbery gone wrong.

It sounded all too familiar as that was what could have happened if my darling Clyde didn't fire the gun too quickly. The police told me the security guard took out his own weapon and forced Clyde and Roman to surrender.

My parents are gonna kill me, once they find out what I've done. It's not like they have disowned me already, but I don't want them out of my life!

A guilty conscience is heavy to carry along with you.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

On the other hand, Harley took things lightly. She wasn't a worry wart like her two companions. In fact, the police kept a close eye on her, as she was the only one who kept a Cheshire grin on her face. This left the sergeant and his deputy suspicious. As if she was the one who was behind Roman and Clyde's fiasco.In truth,

Harley was trying to outweigh the good and bad sides of this situation . She knew her brother didn't mean to open the unpaid merchandise, but he probably had an urge to do it due to his diabetic issues.

Could he have waited?

Yes, but on occasion, idiotic episodes such as these circumstances happen. What the guys did in the convenience store was wrong. And I'm blaming Bonnie for this act of injustice!

She was a person who hardly became stressed, as Harley practiced yoga daily. This was one reason why her young complexion changed throughout the years. And that was also why Martina fell head over heels for her after they accidentally kissed each other in a club.

Each had secrets of their own that made them act in extremely unpredictable ways. Xabiere and Murdock selected Roman and Martina randomly, but what they didn't know was that their mothers from heavenly above made the selection for them to prove a point that friendship knows no distance. Both Cena and Olive wanted their plutons to know the importance of empathy in living a meaningful life. Earthlings and aliens can ideally work well together; if they just gave it a chance.