34

September 10, 2018
Monday
5 PM
Diane's POV: I leaned against Marshall as we sat in the skybox, watching the game finish. His fingers ran through my hair as he kept his eyes on the game. I looked up at him, watching him be so invested on the game. "You enjoying yourself?" I asked.

"Very much so." He smiled looking over at me. "I'm really glad you came."

"Me too." I sat up and felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I stared down at my home screen and froze. "Hey, you know how I got a security set up in my house that lets me know from my phone if someone is in my house?"

He looked at me nervously and nodded, "Yeah. Did it detect someone in the house?" He leaned forward peeking over at my phone. I nodded as I opened up the app that was connected to security. I scanned the rooms and saw nothing. I sighed and checked the front of my house. No cars were parked and it seemed no one was at my door.

"It shows nothing. Do you think it might be acting up?" I asked. "What if someone's in my place?"

"I think it's just acting up. We would see if someone was inside baby. Everything's ok. I'll drop you off at home soon." He kissed my cheek and focused back on the game. He's right! I'm just overreacting.
——————
7 PM
We headed home after the game and the black Escalade pulled up to my driveway. I looked over at Marshall giving him a smile, "Thank you again for letting me come. I had fun." I leaned forward and kissed his cheek. I looked over at Paul, "Thank you Paul for letting me come with you guys. Have a good night." I smiled and got out of the car.

"My pleasure Diane. Have a good night!" Paul waved goodbye to me and Marshall got out of the car with me, walking me to my front door. I hesitantly placed my hand on the doorknob and looked at Marshall,

"You okay Di?" He asked rubbing my back gently. "What's wrong?"

"What if someone is in my house? What if someone's hiding." I replied feeling my hands begin to sweat. Marshall kissed my forehead and pushed my hand out of the way to open the door,

"Well, why don't I come in and look around? Will that make you feel better?" He asked opening the door. I nodded and went inside. Marshall waved Paul and security off, "I'll get a ride home! You guys go ahead and head out." He called out. We watched the Escalade pull out and drive away. He walked inside and shut the door. He ventured into the living room, then the kitchen looking around. I went to check my sliding door making sure it was locked. It was left ajar and I turned to Marshall,

"It's halfway open... someone has to be in here." I began panicking as I looked around. Marshall darted upstairs and I followed, he went into my bedroom checking everywhere. No one was there. He opened up my closet door, rummaging through clothes and checking to make sure no one was hiding. I walked down the hallway and saw my office door open my heart dropped. Marshall peeked from the bedroom and saw the door open.

"Diane... I want you to go downstairs, and call the police. I will deal with this." He whispered placing his hand on my back. I nodded slowly and watched him go into my office. He turned back towards me and shooed me off. I went downstairs, grabbed my purse looking for my phone. I heard yelling upstairs and felt my body begin to tremble. Who the fuck is inside my house? The phone rang and finally, an operator picked up.

"911 what's your emergency?"

"I think there is someone in my house!" I ventured upstairs slowly, hearing what sounded like someone being shoved against the wall. "Please just hurry!"

"Ma'am, what is your address?"

I got upstairs and ran into my office seeing Marshall pinning Greg up against the wall. I went silent as I still heard the operator asking me questions. But I wasn't able to comprehend anything. Marshall grabbed the hem of Greg's shirt as he slammed him against the wall. "Marshall stop!" I screamed. He wrapped his empty hand around his neck and squeezed tight. I could see Greg's face beginning to turn blue. I grabbed at the back of Marshall's shirt screaming at him to stop. He finally let go of him and Greg sunk onto the floor gasping for air.