Chapter 2

"Is she okay?" A concerned voice asked. It sounded like a girl about my age. It sounded like there was a thunderstorm as well.

"She will be." An agitated voice answered.

"Are you sure?" A boy, again my age, asked.

They all sounded like they were speaking through rubber- like my ears had candle wax in them.

I felt something in my mouth -something like bread- and out of instinct, I began chewing it and swallowed it.

I jolted back to full consciousness and stood up, scaring the people around me. They all looked related- curly hair, brown eyes, similar face shapes. A girl with red hair and a yellow dress had a thunderstorm above her. One of them, the eldest, looking to be in her thirties, was holding her hands out to me, as though warding off a rabid animal or an attacker.

I looked to the future for knowledge of how to de-escalate the situation, but found nothing but a jarring pain in my head. My face contorted and I put a hand to my forehead in an attempt to ease the pain.

"Are you okay?" A girl wearing blue asked.

I nodded, not knowing if talking was the right move.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm all right. I've always gotten headaches." I answered truthfully.

"What's your name?" The eldest asked. "I'm Alma Madrigal, and these are my children; Julieta, Pepa, and Bruno." She said, pointing to each.

"My name is Athena Marrow." I told them.

"It's nice to meet you Athena." Said Alma Madrigal. "How did you find yourself here?" She asked.

I remembered then that I did not fall here, I was still on the mountain. I looked around, and indeed saw mountains above their roof.

"I don't remember exactly..." I started. "I was climbing a mountain... I was about halfway up when I blacked out."

"Do you know why you blacked out?" Julieta asked.

I shook my head. "No. It just felt like all the energy I had left me."

Everyone looked concerned. The storm above Pepa's head grew thicker and it began to rain on her. Julieta and Bruno went to her side and consoled her while Alma came to me.

"How old are you? Where did you come from?" She asked.

"I'm 17, and I came the United States."

"You're 17?" She grew more concerned. "Why are you here and not with your family?"

I bit my lip to keep from crying. "They're dead." I said bluntly.

"Oh my goodness..." She said. Pepa, Julieta, and Bruno turned their heads at this as well, Pepa's storm dissipating.

"If you're from the United States then how'd you get here?" Bruno asked.

"I ran away. I didn't want to be anywhere near where it happened." My voice broke on the last word, and I sat down on the tiled floor, bringing my legs to my chest and wrapping my arms around them.

"How long ago was that?" Pepa asked warily.

"Over two weeks now." I replied weakly.

They all looked grim, but Alma changed her expression and sat down in front of me.

"If you ever want to talk to anyone about it, you can talk to me. I lost my husband just days after my babies were born." She told me in a low, soothing tone.