Chapter 11

Alicia was three now, almost four, and based on what Abuela and Bruno, Julieta and Pepa said they were like before they got their powers, I think I knew what hers would be.

And I was pretty sure I was pregnant again.

Bruno found me throwing up after I had woken up and came to my side. He rubbed my back while I used my wand to make the vomit disappear.

This was the second week in a row, and given the other symptoms I was having were the same as my last pregnancy, I couldn't deny it any longer.

We decided to tell Alicia first, her being the one most affected by a new baby sibling.

By now it was time for her to wake up so we went to the nursery to tell her. I eased the door open and saw her little form under a mountain of green and red blankets.

I crouched down next to her bed and pulled the blankets away from her face.

"Alicia, it's time to wake up," I said gently while pulling her curly brown hair out of her face.

"Mami I want to sweep." She said, opening her eyes a small fraction. 

"Do you want breakfast?" Bruno asked. She always got up after we pulled that card.

She kicked away the blankets and hopped out of bed, stretching her arms out.

"Can we tell you something, and you not tell anyone else?" I asked her.

She put a few seconds of thought into it, then said "yes Mami."

"I have a baby growing in my belly, Alicia. You're going to have a baby brother or baby sister."

"Baby brother or sister?" She repeated.

"Yeah, they'll grow in your Mami's belly for a few months before they come." Bruno said.

"Ooo" was her response to that.

I picked her up and tucked her under my arm, her reaching for her favorite blanket but failing, seeing as she was reaching into thin air. Bruno grabbed it and handed it to her, and we made our way downstairs to breakfast.

When everyone was at the table, Bruno and I prepared to break the news, Alicia said "Mami's got a baby in her belly!"

There were gasps, then congratulations as the news sunk in. I figured Alicia would do that, seeing as she was like me when I was a toddler- couldn't keep a secret in. I was like that until my seer powers kicked in. Then I was the most secretive person you'd ever meet.

Once the bump began to show, we figured I was two or three months along. I still fainted a lot, which earned me a 'stay in bed all day' order from Julieta. Alicia came often and from bed I taught her to read and occasionally said something in Parseltongue, her understanding me yet having no idea I was talking in another language.

Today was her fourth birthday, and we celebrated with a family dinner and a bunch of presents. She loved all of them, especially mine which was a new knitted blanket.

                                  ●●●

Seven months later, we welcomed a little baby boy into the world. His name would be Isaiah. Isaiah Madrigal.

Alicia couldn't believe her eyes when she saw him, begging to hold him whenever she could. Whenever we were in the same room she would try to grab him, but from the other side of the room so that I 'wouldn't notice.'

Three months later, it was Alicia's fifth birthday. 

I woke up to a shimmery door in the hallway that led to the tower, the hallway that seemed to get longer every day. I was tempted to touch it, but resisted and instead went to get Alicia from the nursery for breakfast.

She got out in a rush, barely letting me brush her hair or pick out her outfit. Like me, she wanted to grow out her hair. She'd never cut it a day in her life, and it was down to the middle of her back in tiny curls.

Bruno was taking care of Isaiah while I got Alicia ready for tonight. People swarmed the Casita, helping decorate and congratulating us. It was overwhelming, so I had Alicia stick to me and helped Julia in the kitchen with whatever I could.

"What's it like?" I asked her.

"Mama holds out the candle for us to touch and make a vow, then we grab the door handle, and are given out power. We open the door and the room materializes in front of us." She said it so nonchalantly I wasn't sure I even heard her right.

But Alicia certainly heard, and she was very intrigued.

"What will my power be?" She asked curiously. I had a guess and had talked to Julieta and Bruno about it, both of them agreeing.

"We'll find out tonight Ally," I told her.

Julieta made enough food for the whole village, and dusk was beginning. Bruno and I swapped children, me having Isaiah and him having Alicia.

She was in a white and gold version of her usual dress, and I put her hair up in a bun. She stayed behind a red velvet curtain while Bruno, Tia Inez and I were ushered next to her new door by Abuela.

Abuela gave a speech, and then the curtain opened to reveal Alicia. The tiles on the floor of the Casita flipped over to red, and Alicia started walking.

Slowly, she reached the blank door, and vowed to Abuela and the candle that she would use her powers to protect the village.

She reached her hand up and placed in on the doorknob, the door shimmering even brighter, then she turned to us.

Baby Isaiah lifted out of my arms and into hers, and she spun him around until he was nothing but a giggling, drooling mess. The door shimmered once more, then became emblazoned with a picture of Alicia surrounded by objects suspended in mid-air.

She opened her door, and just like Julia had said, everything materialized the farther in she walked. Everything a normal bedroom would have was up in the air, as well as a bunch of toys. The walls decorated in pale green wallpaper with what looked like gusts of wind. The floor was wood, like Bruno's room.

The room was enormous too. It was twice the size of the Casita, but it was a bedroom.

Alicia was a squealing mess, reaching for things and making herself fly with her newfound telekinesis. Cheers were erupting like thunder from outside and I heard fireworks as well.

I felt my feet leave the ground, and I held on tight to Isaiah. Alicia was in her new bed -red and green, like her bed in the nursery- and she was bringing me up with her. Bruno was coming up too.

She was laughing with her whole heart once she set us down, and I nearly started crying from her happiness.

A band was set up, and the whole village danced for the rest of the night.