Chapter 10

The vomiting was getting worse and worse, and I started carrying a bucket around with me.

Tia Inez thought the baby was due any day now, so she stayed around me a lot. She would be there while I gave birth, along with Julia and the local midwife, Lucia.

I couldn't see my feet anymore, but I could feel they were really swollen and others told me as well.

I was reading a book, like I did most of the time. I was alone in our room, someone having requested a vision from Bruno and Julieta in the kitchen making more food. Tia Inez was at her house, making things for the baby.

I felt something like gooey water flow out of me. I didn't know what it was at first, but then I recalled that Abuela said that's what the water felt like.

"BRUNO!" I yelled. I didn't know if he'd be able to hear me, but either he was really fast, or on the other side of the door because he came in immediately.

"What what is it?" He said, terrified.

"My water broke, my water broke. Oh my goodness it's happening. It's happening!" I said, my voice raising an octave after every word.

Bruno ran out of the room after helping me to the bed, going to get Julieta and everyone else.

Julieta came up a minute later, a big bag of food in her hands.

She felt my forehead. "Are you feeling okay?" She asked.

"For now." I answered.

Tia Inez came next, doting over me and telling me in whispers when Julieta turned her back that everything would be okay, that my magic would heal me.

Bruno, Abuela and Pepa came next, Lucia in tow. Lucia came with a bag full of stuff for me and the baby.

"How far apart are your contractions?" Lucia asked.

"Only had one so far." I told her.

"Okay then let's wait for the next one." She said.

Bruno held my hand through all of this. I wanted him to be there while I was giving birth, but they wouldn't let him. Only girls would be allowed in here.

I got more contractions. They started out about half an hour apart, but they were starting to get closer together. Lucia put a bunch of towels and blanket underneath me as the contractions started getting about ten minutes apart.

They got more painful every time they came back. I was getting close to yelling whenever they came. The pain wasn't bothering me so much as the way it felt.

About sixteen hours later, Lucia made everyone I didn't want in here or not allowed in here, leave. Tia Inez and Julieta were my companions. The contractions were five minutes apart, and Lucia said that meant the baby was going to come any minute now.

Thirty minutes later, me being a sweaty, crying mess, I held a beautiful baby girl in my arms.

"Alicia." I whispered before kissing her head. I didn't care that she was still covered in blood and other fluids, she was my baby.

"You'll be perfect." I whispered to her in Parseltongue.

Julieta basically shoved her food in my mouth, and after I swallowed it my pregnant stomach deflated and any pain I still felt from the labor disappeared.

I stood up, feeling amazing in a way I haven't since I got pregnant. I had a robe on, and I tied it in front of me. Lucia showed me how to tie a diaper on her, and Tia Inez put a little dress on her.

"You can let everyone back in now, if you wish," Lucia told me.

"Just Bruno." I said.

Julieta got up and left, as well as Lucia.

Bruno came in the second the door opened, eyes wide and staring at the little bundle in my hands. He looked like he was going to cry.

"Her name is Alicia." I said through tears.

"She's perfect," he said, dabbing at his eyes.

I sat down in the rocking chair, handing her to Bruno. I felt so tired. All I wanted was to sleep.

Alicia stirred and started crying. Bruno ran over and handed her to me. I tipped my robe open and tried feeding her. She took, and I began rocking back and forth in the chair.

I started humming a lullaby, one that was sung to me as a child by my mother.

She fell asleep still nursing.

Bruno and I doted over her for the next few months, until she slept through the night.

I sang to her in Parseltongue often, Bruno saying it sounded like bugs crawling in your ears. One night we set her in her crib, and the mobile started spinning.

Bruno's head snapped in my direction, eyes wide and mouth open yet smiling. He was trying to be subtle about it, but he was happy she was like me.

I looked back at little Alicia, her pretty hazel-green eyes big as saucers as she watched the fairies spin around, sprinkling non-existent fairy dust on her. She looked like a perfect mix of Bruno and me: hazel eyes that were closer to green than to brown and thin whisps of hazelnut colored hair. She didn't have enough hair to tell if it would be curly though.

Bruno and I stood at her crib, leaning against each other as Alicia slowly drifted off into sleep.