Chapter 17

*Cue Encanto Events*

It was Mirabel's fifth birthday, and she was the happiest little girl you would ever see. She was the youngest Madrigal, and the only one without a gift. Preparations had been completed, Alicia and Luisa doing a lot of the heavy-lifting.

When the curtains opened to reveal happy little Mirabel, I got a bad feeling. Something was going to go wrong, I knew it.

Regardless, I ignored it, and I watched her go down the isle with my family by the entrance to the hallway.

As Mirabel made the vows every Madrigal child had made, the bad feeling urged me to look ahead. I did. I saw Mirabel's door disppear, and then darkness. But not darkness as in absence of light, darkness as in sadness. A hollow void that needed to be filled. I looked up to see. She put her hand on the doorknob, and just as I had seen, it began to disappear.

When it was completely gone, the candle flickered, and I stumbled. Bruno caught me, but like everyone else he was too entranced to look away. I pulled him into the hallway. "Something bad is going to happen." I whispered to him.

"What? How?" He asked, starting to panic.

"Wait and see..." I told him.

Julieta and Augustin had taken little Mirabel to Julieta's room to help her calm down, and Abuela called for Bruno. I knew why. He saw my forlorn expression and asked what was wrong. I couldn't say. I bit my lip and shook my head.

Abuela was in her room, and she started ranting about the candle, and how Bruno needed to look into it. She glanced at me every now and then, and using legilimency I could see that she wanted me to help. I stayed silent through all of this, Bruno reluctantly agreeing to look into the future, to see why the candle acted as it did.

We walked back up to his room, and in the hallway Bruno again asked me what was wrong.

"Nothing. Or maybe not yet..." I said. I couldn't give him a straight answer. He wanted to ask more, but he didn't.

He went to his vision cave, and I waited in our bedroom. I began packing my belonging. I wouldn't be able to stay in here if he isn't. I sat on the bed, my things packed into my black endless bag.

Bruno opened the door to our room with a pained expression.

"You knew..." He said sadly.

"Not exactly." I said. "It was only a feeling. I saw what would happen to Mirabel, that's why I almost fell. And after that I felt darkness... I figured something was going to happen to you."

Tears started coming out of his eyes, and I wrapped my arms around him. "I know where you'll go." I told him in a soothing way. I would know where to find him.

I let him go and took out my wand. I put all his belongings in a bag to take with him in the blink of an eye. He grabbed it with shaky hands, and we walked hand-in-hand out of his tower and to the kettle portrait. You had to take it off the wall to get behind it, but I lifted it soundlessly with my wand and installed hinges at the same time.

Bruno hugged me one last time, kissed me with all his heart, then stepped through the portrait door and into the new halls and rooms that were being created before his eyes. The portrait door shut on its own, and I was left standing outside in the hallway staring at a portrait.